Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Schoonmaker
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this scenario to be much easier than the first. Whether this is because I am more familiar with the game and advances, or the scenario is simply easier, I don't know. I suspect, however, that the first scenario isn't meant to be easy, only short.

At any rate, the map is far more lush in Scenario 2, making it easy to advance if you're not quickly wiped out. The map helps again with this, as there are only 5 regions. A common theme in my game was disaster narrowly avoiding me as it struck non-existent regions.

Agriculture allowed me to quickly populate the entire map, and with the abundant resources I quickly had cities everywhere. Masonry allowed me to continue to advance my population. Engineering continued this, as well as reducing the effects of natural disasters and advancing me toward my goal.

Mining came next. A mass migration to Region 5 occurred in preparation for mining and studying the building arts, but the intrepid miners could not locate a vein. Undeterred, more settlers arrived, but were interrupted by a trading mission by the advanced Nordic civilization. This windfall allowed my people the luxury of studying how to build structures both practical and beautiful. With this, a new golden age began, and they advanced to the Second Era. This event became known as the Leaving of the Caves.

The Nordic civilization returned again to trade. Their shiny baubles had little value for us at that time, however. This was a time of peace and prosperity; a sandstorm rose up in Region 4, but our well-irrigated fields recovered easily. Bandits threatened to attack near the end of the era, but our people moved into the next era just in time.

My only goal at this point was simply to survive the Third Era, which became progressively easier. I moved a number of tribes to Region 5 in order to get philosophy, hoping to forestall attack by superior civilizations, but just before I could the Atlanteans launched a surprise attack! They destroyed the tribe in Region 6, but the stout walls allowed the city to survive- albeit with heavy damage.

I continued purchasing advance after advance, enlarging my cities methodically in order to do so. I concentrated on those advances which mitigated disasters, the only threat to my success. I went mining, collecting a single nugget before stopping to research the healing arts.

It turns out my civilization was just in time: an epidemic broke out on the heels of the announcement of the Houses of Healing, wiping out both tribes in Region 8, but doctors in Region 5 stopped it with only minor casualties. The rest of the era played out uneventfully as my civilization advanced off into the sunset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.