Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Pen and Paper games, is there a place for them on BGG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 2 pen and paper games that I know. the rules are relative simple and you only need a paper and a pen (or multi color pens) to play them.
There are several items regarding these games
1: Should those games be added here on BGG at all?
2: I am not aware of any official name for those games.
I can add a game with a name I invented for them, write the rules and upload them to the games, but I'm not sure if that is the correct way to go about it.
I'll be happy to hear your opinion about this subject.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Berry
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am no moderator of things like that but at the least you could submit them using the "new games submission" form and see what the BGG new game modder does with your entries.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a great idea to put them in. A lot of traditional card games are listed in the database as well as books that contain pen and paper games so why not pen and paper games themselves?

Give it a shot and see what happens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted Eat Poop You Cat which I think falls under a similar category.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clouser
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2: I am not aware of any official name for those games.


If you don't have a name for these games, might I suggest writing two separate posts that describe the games in detail. You can solicit the BGG community to find the common names (plural) of these games and include them in the game submissions. Game number ##### is probably not going to be visited often enough to get this kind of information.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This game: 1000 Blank White Cards is in the database, and is pretty highly regarded, in some circles.

(And it's fun, too, given the right crowd at the right time of the night.)

If there's a home for that one here, then there's most likely a home for your two games as well, I'd think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
that reminds me of this pencil and paper game we used to play all the time. you get a piece of paper and draw a bunch of asteroids on it. then each side draws a set of star fighters in their area. during your turn you can either move a star fighter or fire one. you do this by placing the pencil over your fighter and putting your finger on the eraser and pressing down, thus flicking the lead of the pencil across the paper. this draws some sort of line. if it was a laser, then you erase anything the line crossing... breaking apart the asteroids, and perhaps destroying an enemy fighter. if it was for movement, then you erase your fighter, and redraw it in the new location. terrific fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! I like Sprouts. But, for example, Dots and Boxes has been published under several different names, and they each have separate entries, but there isn't one for the pencil-and-paper version. There are also several books in the database that contain multiple pencil-and-paper games. It would be nice to have a streamlined way to get at all that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yegods wrote:
that reminds me of this pencil and paper game we used to play all the time. you get a piece of paper and draw a bunch of asteroids on it. then each side draws a set of star fighters in their area. during your turn you can either move a star fighter or fire one. you do this by placing the pencil over your fighter and putting your finger on the eraser and pressing down, thus flicking the lead of the pencil across the paper. this draws some sort of line. if it was a laser, then you erase anything the line crossing... breaking apart the asteroids, and perhaps destroying an enemy fighter. if it was for movement, then you erase your fighter, and redraw it in the new location. terrific fun.

Yeh, that is one of the games. I know the rules a bit differently, but it is a real fun game. I saw worse boardgames comeout into the market, so why not introduce this cute game to other people
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ycyclop wrote:
yegods wrote:
that reminds me of this pencil and paper game we used to play all the time. you get a piece of paper and draw a bunch of asteroids on it. then each side draws a set of star fighters in their area. during your turn you can either move a star fighter or fire one. you do this by placing the pencil over your fighter and putting your finger on the eraser and pressing down, thus flicking the lead of the pencil across the paper. this draws some sort of line. if it was a laser, then you erase anything the line crossing... breaking apart the asteroids, and perhaps destroying an enemy fighter. if it was for movement, then you erase your fighter, and redraw it in the new location. terrific fun.

Yeh, that is one of the games. I know the rules a bit differently, but it is a real fun game. I saw worse boardgames comeout into the market, so why not introduce this cute game to other people

We used to play one where you would draw the outline of a race-track and then race with your "car" using a similar flicking method. Not sure if this is a variant or a game with "similar mechanics". meeple
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
we should lobby for a new BGG game mechanism... Pencil Flicking. i was trying to think of some mechanism that would simulate the pencil flick, but couldn't come up with anything good. any ideas?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.