Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Being that there are some "Is it rude..." posts going on, I thought I would create one myself.

Is it rude to royaly cuss someone out if they beat the living piss out of you in a board game?

On another note, is it rude to get pissed at someone because they choose to make a certain move that hurts you but has no significant gain for themselves just because they want to be a jackass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is it rude to call someone and SOB if they kick your ass in a game?
Putting yourself in a position to be the victim of a defensive move that doesn't also hurt the attacker is your own fault not the player making the move. You've gotta to make it hurt them too...otherwise they'll do it all the time for no good reason!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Poor sportsmanship; period.

It's like a superbowl coach storming off the field...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I understand, but we have a girl in our group that really gets annoyed if you pull this type of move. So what it boils down to is everyone loves to do it to her just to get her going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
Poor sportsmanship; period.

It's like a superbowl coach storming off the field...

Totally agree, good analogy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
So long as its just BradyLS, and his DEMON DICE OF HELL. Then its thoroughly ok.

Otherwise, no.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Sounds like a real fun group.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
I understand, but we have a girl in our group that really gets annoyed if you pull this type of move. So what it boils down to is everyone loves to do it to her just to get her going.

If you keep it up, she'll leave your group. A more mature approach would be better for all concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bateman

Greer
South Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:

Is it rude to royaly cuss someone out if they beat the living piss out of you in a board game?

I think it depends on the climate of the group. When I'm playing with a certain group of friends, lewd banter is a staple throughout the game, including at the end. When I'm playing with people at the local FLGS, I try to keep it clean and be a good sport because that's the climate there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
jjloc wrote:

If you keep it up, she'll leave your group. A more mature approach would be better for all concerned.

Aw, she's alright. I'd be more worried about getting slapped across the head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
perfecturbo wrote:
jjloc wrote:

I think it depends on the climate of the group. When I'm playing with a certain group of friends, lewd banter is a staple throughout the game, including at the end. When I'm playing with people at the local FLGS, I try to keep it clean and be a good sport because that's the climate there.

Sounds exactly like our group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:

Is it rude to call a woman a girl?

Is it rude to call Jeff a nancy-boy?

Is it rude to be rude?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfecturbo wrote:
jjloc wrote:

Hit the nail on the head. It's all about the context. We trash talk all the time with the group of people i regularly play with. But in the local gaming group that meets at a FLGS I'd be a little more restrained. A little devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kennylibido wrote:
jjloc wrote:

Is it rude to call a woman a girl?

Is it rude to call Jeff a nancy-boy?

Is it rude to be rude?

You douche!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it is all about context (and perhaps how far the perpetrator goes). It's like that Seinfeld episode where George is visited by the guys from Texas who constantly curse one another as a means of conversation; when George’s boss overhears him call one of his acquaintances an SOB he gets in trouble because his boss doesn’t understand the context.

And yes, in the context of friends, I have often cursed and been cursed – you know, when your “friend” backstabs you, and you turn – stunned and with mouth wide open – to mutter “You son of a *****.” (And it is usually less in the tone of an accusation and more like a statement of reality.)

Of course, if someone goes over the top with unwarranted abuse upon a player for a legal action, then you might have a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hayford
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
I think its very obvious what someone is making a statement in good fun and when they are genuinely irate. Its no fun to play games with people that get upset when they loose. Its fun sometimes to hear your oppent call you a "son-of-a-bitch" good naturedly though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sums up my reaction to losing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you're talking about trash-talking and good-natured ribbing. If that's the spirit, great. That's the way I like to play. I know I've done a really good job of messing up someone's plans if they cuss me out. Again, it's all friendly and in good fun.

Of course, that smack in the head you say might be coming? You might deserve it.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It is always rude to be rude. Swearing is rude.

Sometimes, by common convention, we like to pretend to be bad. If you are playing in a culture where being rude is acceptable or encouraged, swear like sailor. But it takes consensus of the group to break with social norms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that this issue can get resolved within 8 pages. This would be contingent upon whether or not Clearclaw and Tom from B&B find this thread.

It IS refreshing to see that no one got 40 thumbs for saying "Don't be a dick", followed by 12 people getting 20 thumbs each for saying, "Yeah! Don't be a dick! It's uncool!".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
I hope that this issue can get resolved within 8 pages. This would be contingent upon whether or not Clearclaw and Tom from B&B find this thread.

It IS refreshing to see that no one got 40 thumbs for saying "Don't be a dick", followed by 12 people getting 20 thumbs each for saying, "Yeah! Don't be a dick! It's uncool!".

Don't be a dick! (Can I get 40 thumbs up? ) What were we talking about? shake

I assume that the OT was joking (at least I hope so!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:

On another note, is it rude to get pissed at someone because they choose to make a certain move that hurts you but has no significant gain for themselves just because they want to be a jackass?
This is absolutely ok for them to do and you can get mad if you want. You say it doesn't benefit them but keeping you from winning benefits them. Who knows you may have played something early in the game that ended up costing them the win or maybe it was in the last game or it was last week. If you tell people they can't make legal moves unless it directly benefits them your changing the rules of the game and I wouldn't play with you. This person will also learn that payback can be very bad. If this person always plays disruptively either other people play the same way against them or people will stop playing with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
jjloc wrote:

Not at all. Grandma does it; why can't I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Berating someone for using language that you don't like is rude.

Swearing at the winner is a polite way to say congratulations without sounding like a victorian era person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It completly depends on the group, of course.

While playing with my wife, if she does something nasty to my best friend, he will happily turn to her and with shock and dismay in his voice cry "Oh, you foul Hag!"

On the other hand, I've been sitting with a group who doesn't know us very well, and done the same thing to my wife, and everybody has been shocked and appalled at my terrible callousness. Apparently that was a terrible thing to say!

My wife is an engineer, and her expletive-of-choice is rather more straightforward, and she can swear up a blue-streak when she wants to. She is careful about her language around most people, but it has not been uncommon for her to turn to me after a particularly nasty play and say "Oh my F**KING GOD, I HATE you, you Rat-B**TARD! F**K YOU!!"

... but, y'know, with love! Always with The Love!

In these cases it has nothing at all to do with poor sportsmanship. It is just the way we talk in casual conversation when we're comfortable with the people we're with (but only if they also speak that way).

So it is, as I said, completel dependant upon the group, and the group dynamic.

Good friends are allowed to say all *sorts* of things to each other (especially if they're true!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.