18 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: What would you begin with? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gustav brissman
Sweden
flag msg tools
Am very intrested in boardgames and war so thought about begining to play some..
However do I not know whats best to start with, saw two games that looked quite intresting. Bitter woods 4th edition and the classic ASL.
Want a game with good graphic and good rules of course.

What do you think is best to begin with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Victory Lost
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gustav brissman
Sweden
flag msg tools
How advanced is ASL compared to other games? want a game on a smaller scale , squad / brigade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are at least three other "intro wargame" threads just on the first page of the Wargaming forum. Have you read those?

As for "good graphics and good rules", those are both rather subjective terms. ASL has very functional graphics, but they're not what I would describe as "attractive". Other games have much prettier counter and map art, but some people feel that only gets in the way. It depends very much on your definition of "good" in this context.

Ditto for rules. In my opinion, ASL has the best set of wargame rules ever created - but that's because I value completeness, detail, and consistency over other qualities like brevity and readability. People that like short, readable rulesets despise ASL.

There are a great many threads and Geeklists here that address the question of where to start with wargaming. Spending some time reading those might help you be more specific about what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleakgeek wrote:
I would begin with ASL, then work your way up to the grand strategical level.

I'd never recommend ASL to a novice, because if he gets discouraged with trying to learn it -- and trying to find an opponent -- he may give up on wargames all together.

A Victory Lost is a good recommendation and introduction to WW2 games.

A House Divided is a fine strategic American Civil War game to start out with.

Napoleon (Columbia Games) is a block game and good starter for Napoleonic Wars. Hammer of the Scots is another great block game to cut one's teeth on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
passover wrote:
How advanced is ASL compared to other games? want a game on a smaller scale , squad / brigade

That's a wide range.

Squad = 10-12 soldiers

Brigade = 2000-6000 soldiers

The lower end is strictly tactical; the other end is operational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL is great, but it's too complex for a novice to start with. Try something small like Totensonntag or Target Arnhem: Across 6 Bridges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I would classify myself primarily as a eurogamer nowadays, I have also recently started playing wargames.

I started with Napoleon (columbia games) with the intention of working my way up to Rommel in the Desert. Frankly, I was a little disappointed with Napoleon as it's not simple enough to explain quickly (combat is a little fiddly) and yet although I did enjoy the game the few times I played it the actual gameplay felt like it would get repetitive (two main strategies seem to dominate). I did eventually "upgrade" to Rommel in the Desert and although I've only played once I have to say I loved it. It's a somewhat complex game but the payoff is there (it's not REALLY complex either... far less than ASL would be). The Block game Fog of War works much better here and really lets the system shine. It also has the advantage of having scenarios that play anywhere from 1 hour to a whole day for the entire war. If I were you, and I was interested in the block game concept, I'd give this one a try (I haven't played Hammer of the scots, but I hear that's a good one too)

I then tried a couple of card driven war games, Wilderness War and Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage. They are totally different experiences from the block games and very fun in their own way. Wilderness War is more complex than Hannibal, and the subject matter might not interest everybody (I'm french canadian, so it interested me). Hannibal seems good, but it doesn't really feel like a war game because there is it's mostly about area influence (won by conquest, lost by loss of confidence). That's not a knock on the game, as I really like it so far, but it's worth knowing.

I've also purchased Lock n' Load:Band of Brothers (a more traditional hex and counter type game). Although the rulebook is initially difficult to follow, the game itself is rather simple (there is added complexity once you add vehicles, but since this can be done gradually there isn't much to know up front) and there is a very good introductory scenario at their website which uses a low number of units and is a beautiful way to learn the game without getting overwhelmed. There are also very good play aids available here which summarize the rules in a very easy to understand package. There are many varied scenarios included in the game, most rather small scaled (defend this building, take that bridge, infiltrate that camp, etc) so if you are looking for something approachable at this scale i"d say it's a good bet.

Depending on your preferences, any of these would make excellent semi-introductory games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Who are you going to play against? Do you have an opponent in mind? What are their interests.

I'd be hesitant to make my first wargame too complex. Also you might not find anyone to play it with. Do you have anyone to play against? If not, you might consider some games that play well solitaire. Too often I hear about wargamers buying a game, reading the rules, setting it up, looking at it a while and then putting it away forever.

If you want a good solitaire consider Silent War.

It sounds like you are ruling out block games. I think that they would be worth looking at because they are simpler and have a lot of flavor. The fog of war added by not seeing the opponents counters adds a lot of tension. Take a look at EastFront II or Europe Engulfed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was going to suggest Battle for Germany just because it's cheap and can handle up to 4 players. It's also old school, so playing this one will introduce you to many common elements found in wargames. But...I noticed you are located in Sweden. From what source would you purchase your wargames, and do they carry most of what's available in the U.S.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for A Victory Lost! OR Hammer of the Scots if you prefer the theme. I'd steer away from ASL for awhile. It's pretty complex stuff and pretty intimidating even to some long-time gamers...(like me!!!) blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boneroller wrote:
Well, I was going to suggest Battle for Germany just because it's cheap and can handle up to 4 players. It's also old school, so playing this one will introduce you to many common elements found in wargames.

That's an excellent recommendation, boneroller. I had forgotten about that one.

Battle for Germany is not only a great introductory game, but in the basic 2-player game, each player plays strategic offense and strategic defense by controlling either the Western Allies and the East Front Germans, or the Soviet Union and the West Front Germans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Oh, heck. Do what I did, start with the hardest thing you can find and dive right in - based on my interests, I chose Rise and Decline of the Third Reich in 1979 as my first wargame.

It got me hooked.

So, why not just go ahead and get Bitter Woods - it is supposed to be the best Battle of the Bulge game made, and its presentation is awesome. Sure it has detail, and a lot to learn, but it is Rich, Deep, and satisfying.

It's like choosing your first beer - do you really want to start with rot gut Pabst Blue Ribbon, or Sam Adams?

Getting a simple 'intro' game might leave you feeling empty and asking if wargamers know what they are talking about as to historical simulations being deep.

Those block games are not that deep - sure they are fun, but if you want to get into the intricacies of a campaign, or study tactics, or the details of a National level war, buy the hard games.

Skip the hamburger - go for the fillet!

----------

Battle For Germany and Victory Lost are good choices - not Hamburger - more like Sirloin, but not fillet mignon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
sbszine wrote:
ASL is great, but it's too complex for a novice to start with. Try something small like Totensonntag or Target Arnhem: Across 6 Bridges.

I disagree. The ASL Starter Kits are great for those wanting to explore WW2 tactical games - if the interest is strong, the difficulty is not a big concern.

My second games were Squad Leader/Cross of Iron in 1979 - as a young lad of 16 - piece of cake to get into, mostly because of a strong interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
sbszine wrote:

I disagree. The ASL Starter Kits are great for those wanting to explore WW2 tactical games - if the interest is strong, the difficulty is not a big concern.

My second games were Squad Leader/Cross of Iron in 1979 - as a young lad of 16 - piece of cake to get into, mostly because of a strong interest.

well put

I forgot that my interest in wargaming was sparked by Dauntless, Air force etc , and we played Squad Leader at age 16/17 also

another game that looks promising is world at war: Eisenbach gap

World at War: Eisenbach Gap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gustav brissman
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks for the awnsers, It´s many suggestions, have looked on everyone and some seems very tempting, it helped to clear up my mind a bit..I hope.
I do sure have a lot of friends to play with, but don´t think they are as dedicated as I am.
Yeah, relized that there is quite big difference on brigade and squad, thought about brigade as beeing company or battalion some hundred men at or so.
Well.. it´s not easy to chose between hundreds of potential games, it´s quite amazing how so many have been made. Then you go to a game/book shop in Sweden you might see some boring Axies and Allies of you are lucky.

Want a game with deep that I can play for a long time.

Wilhammer wrote:
Oh, heck. Do what I did, start with the hardest thing you can find and dive right in - based on my interests, I chose Rise and Decline of the Third Reich in 1979 as my first wargame.

It got me hooked.

So, why not just go ahead and get Bitter Woods - it is supposed to be the best Battle of the Bulge game made, and its presentation is awesome. Sure it has detail, and a lot to learn, but it is Rich, Deep, and satisfying.

It's like choosing your first beer - do you really want to start with rot gut Pabst Blue Ribbon, or Sam Adams?

Skip the hamburger - go for the fillet!

haha, maybe you´re right, buying ASL is if I have understood it right, buying and engine that you can play for years. But you need a lot of extra modules right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Lovegrove
Wales
flag msg tools
Personally I would aim for SL rather than ASL because, as the name implies, its simpler and more straightforward. There are also plenty of scenarios in the box and you don't need a string of supplements (although I do recommend Cross of Iron).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.