Subject: ProCon Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully these reviews will offer very short, though hopefully helpful pro/con reviews for those trying to make their mind up about this game.

GAME: BATTLESHIP (1931)
PUBLISHER: MILTON BRADLEY (1996)

PROS

- Essential entry game. Battleship is over 70 years old, and if I can't speak for it, then let time do the job. It is still in print. It is still a best seller. It is often one of the first board games any child will receive.

- Very engaging theme. Battleship has lasting power, for a simple, but obvious reason. There is nothing like the feeling of sticking a red peg into a ship, and flashing a smug look at your opponent. If there were votes for best board game quote, "You sunk my Battleship!" would certainly be in the Top 5. Battleship could be considered a ritual.

- For such a simple game, there is strategy. Of course, it's a fairly understood strategy, but trying to ensure the greatest amount of hits using the least amount of shots takes some thought, and starts our children on a path of strategic thought.

- Fun, psychological warfare. I find you can tell a lot by the way your opponent says, "miss." What happens in their eyes? Do you get the impression that a ship might be near by your miss? Can you actually lead your opponent into shooting at a dead zone just by the way you conduct yourself? I feel the answer is yes.

CONS

- Luck luck luck luck. No question. This game is for two types of people: those who are children, and those who as children, grew up with Battleship. Anybody else will largely find Battleship a completely non-essential part of their gaming efforts.

FINAL COMMENT:

Sure, it's Battleship, and largely ignored by most gamers. And why even write a review on a game that is pervasively known by all? Well, apart from doing reviews for every game on my shelf, it looks like Battleship on the BGG could use a little TLC.

Certainly, by the time somebody has become a hardcore gamer, even their choices for "filler" games have become more strategic and complex. I guess that's the nature of being a "gamer". But to forget Battleship is to forget your roots, if it is indeed your roots. Battleship goes anywhere, can be played by anybody from about 5 years old (friends or strangers) and is just plain fun. It makes a potential boring 20 minutes into a guaranteed exciting 20 minutes. Of course, this is wholly subjective, and only agreeable to those who like Battleship. And there it is, you either love it or ignore it. But I will go as far to say that it is wrong to grow up without ever playing. Battleship helps children learn about co-ordinates, basic strategy, and theme, and these are necessary concepts to begin developing as a youngster. And if you're an adult, and have a place for nostalgia on your shelves, pick up a copy and play on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.