Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
When two former Geeks of th Week met in the wild frontier of New York City, there were no staredown nor attempts to lop off the other's head with the shrill cries of "there can only be One!" Instead there was a friendly greeting by two fellow members of the Board Game Geek community and co-designers of Moon Melee. And, although they had worked together on said game, this was their first face-to-face meeting.

The venue for, what some day may be viewed as an historic occassion, were the vaunted halls of the Javits Convention Center -- a multi-acre palace of glass and sheetrock. The event was the annual Toy Fair.

What is a Toy Fair, I hear you ask dear readers. It is a place where industry types, merchants, designers, sellers, buyers, and those interested in games and toys meet. Within the massive halls there were toys and games of nearly every description, and a few that would defy most conventions. A number of board game companies were there, including the Death Star legions of Hasbro, and the Winged Monkeys of Mayfair.

A fellow Geek was there demoing his design, "Wits and Wagers", and now has a vid-game version of said game; pray for him, as his next spin-off for this splendid contraption could hit the Big Time.

A few highlights of the show were: a baseball game made of fine wood and based on a pinball type design from my youth; finely cast figures of the Gods of Heavy Metal -- Rob Halford, KK Downing, and Glenn Tipton; the next generation of pogo-sticks with built in bungees to store energy and also with stabilizers; a Knizia game called "Ilium" (Looney Labs) in the vein of "Thebes"; and a surfboard-style skateboard with two independent parts to simulate cutting a wave on the pavement. "Tumblin' Dice" it seems has found a new home, which is good to hear, as it is a great dexterity game and deserves to be found in more homes and con-rooms.

But there were also a few oddities. The return of the Pound Puppies, with their egregious jingle. And there was a whole line of Biblical action figures; just what every child needs, but to renact Samson tearing down the amphitheater on the Phillistines.

Runehardt and Osiris Ra played the former's dice game, which used the great graphics of the seminal band, the Misfits. The game was a fun, light filler that has surprising strategy because of how the dice are used. I look forward to playing this one again, and it deserves to be on the Geek.

As the day wound down the two designers left the glass-and-steel edifice of Javits and headed for the bright lights of New Jersey. There Osiris Ra instroduced Runehardt to some of the irrasible characters of his gaming group. Games were played. First off, a four player game of "It's Alive" went off, and everyone had a good time of creating monsters and barely keeping our heads above water. Then a dry Euro, despite its theme hit the table, in the form of "Santiago"; Osiris did not like the look of the man on the cover, who appeared to be coveting his neighbor's ass. Finally, it being a weeknight, Osiris taught "St Petersburg".

With the night of games over, Osiris and Mrs. Ra took Runehardt back to the woods of Manhatten's west side. All in all, though, a phonebooth-shaped time machine would have made this meeting much more eventful.

So be excellent to each other and party on, dudes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could I get a little clarification? Looney Labs is putting out a Knizia game? I'm not sure I've seen those in the same sentence before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like a good time!
It´s always nice when geeks meet and sweet music happens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
sounds like a good time!

Plus, they played It's Alive! :-)

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
molnar wrote:
Could I get a little clarification? Looney Labs is putting out a Knizia game? I'm not sure I've seen those in the same sentence before.

Alas, you must wait to see the only-whispered-about Looney/Knizia production. Playroom Entertainment is the publisher of Ilium, which is due out Q3 2008. I describe the game and show a pic in part of my Toy Fair coverage: http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

Eric
Editor, http://www.BoardgameNews.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Henry Rhombus wrote:
molnar wrote:

Alas, you must wait to see the only-whispered-about Looney/Knizia production. Playroom Entertainment is the publisher of Ilium, which is due out Q3 2008. I describe the game and show a pic in part of my Toy Fair coverage: http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

Eric
Editor, http://www.BoardgameNews.com

It was nice meeting you Eric, if only for a few moments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainJax wrote:
jtspecial wrote:
sounds like a good time!

Plus, they played It's Alive! :-)

Cheers,

Jack

It's Alive! has gamer-geek good time written all over it. When I get a few more plays in I'll do a review. But both my GF and our event/group organizer (boardgamesNJ on the Geek) really seemed to enjoy it, so two thumbs (hands?) up from 1 guy and two gals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:

Quoth the lady in the Playroom booth, "Reiner Knizia rolls out of bed with a new game idea." The rest is which companies will pick up his game and run with it.

Ilium looks like a late 19th-early 20th Century archeology game in which the players dig stuff up and sell it to collectors. Each collector also has a fetish, in that they enjoy certain types of objects more than others. One patron, for instance, has a Horse fetish and so will pay more for objects with horses on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot one more oddity about the Toy Fair:

There was what appeared to be an Amish family -- a middle-aged patriarch, his slightly younger looking wife, and two daughters in their late teens -- wondering the floor, looking at games. The questions that popped into my head immediately were:

1. How did they get there? Didst they take yon buggy for weeks upon ye long trek from the furthest reaches of Pennsylvania?

2. What were they doing there? Didst they makest a toy to sell unto the world? Or didst they arrive to purchase? And, if the latter, what sort of games wouldst such folk be wanting to play?

3. Were they only, instead, becostumed gentle-folk there to promote a new game? A new fad? Is Amish the new black?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well here I am, back in "not-so-sunny" So. Cal.
New York was fun although I'm a bit tired. I had not been to New York for probably 15 years so I had to do some of the tourist stuff... Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, Times Square and Central Park. I highly recommend Carmine's in Manhattan. I ate way too much and the garlic bread is awesome. The Toys-R-Us in Times Square is 3 stories and has a ferris wheel in the middle of it and a life size animatronic T-Rex! Of course I quickly worked my way through all three floors but never came across the board game aisle.
On the opening night of the Toy Fair I was invited to a party at a magic store called Fantasma Toys. http://www.fantasmamagic.com/index.html
They had lots of finger foods and pizza. There were two open bars and some pretty good entertainment. Some of the slight of hand work was very impressive. The coolest thing there was a wonderful collection of actual Houdini props and museum quality magic stuff.
It was great to meet my fellow game designer and Geek of the Weeker Osiris Ra in person. We played a few games at my booth and walked the halls of Javits. We talked to game designers, distributors and manufacturers. The people I met from Ra's game group were great. I had a lot of fun. I also learned a couple games that I've been considering but I hadn't had a chance to try yet.
My thanks again goes out to the Osiris Ra Clan for thier hospitality and for driving me all the way out to New Jersey and back!
I'll post a geek list of all of the games that I played while I was in New York for a week. There was a fun little filler that I played the prototype of at the Out Of The Box booth. It's called Ninja Vs Ninja and I'll probably be adding to my collection when it's available. I also checked out fellow BGGer Brad Fuller's game which looks like a great party game!
I had a chance to reconnect with a couple of manufacturers and meet some designers for the first time. Oh, and getting to meet and talk to Eric Martin from Boardgamenews was very cool. His mini seminar was very informative.
All-in-all it was a very successful show.

Keep an eye out for my Misfits dueling dice game and a second edition run of Deep Space DrillerAce .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.