Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my AE yesterday, and am stickering it. However, I'm kinda bummed out about the quality of the blocks and the paint job they got. Many of them are clearly identifiable by striping of the wood, scratches, and some weird blobishness of the paint, (especially on the white blocks). Anyone else share my issues? I know I'm a bit anal about blocks, but when stuff is supposed to be hidden, I don't like for info to be given away by the block face...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine were ok, sounds odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
I'm kinda bummed out about the quality of the blocks and the paint job they got. Many of them are clearly identifiable by striping of the wood, scratches, and some weird blobishness of the paint, (especially on the white blocks). Anyone else share my issues? I know I'm a bit anal about blocks, but when stuff is supposed to be hidden, I don't like for info to be given away by the block face...

I hade some reservation when I first got my late 1st edition copy of Europe Engulfed and saw that the blocks were more of stained (like you describe above) than painted.

I have found that there is no reason to be alarmed. In play, it is practically impossible to remember which blocks are which, even with the low unit count colours. Just make sure you don't have them all aligned with the wood grain in the same direction when you sticker them. Also, for militia or other two step units you can use the smoothest block sides to face towards the table should you feel this to be a problem.

As a side note, the playtest blocks provided with AE look much more like the early EE blocks (i.e. painted), than the production AE/later EE blocks (i.e. stained) so I suppose it really comes down to which block source the supplier had at the moment. See a comparison in the picture here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/302167

You might want to have a look at this thread as well wrt/the same "problem" with EE:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/91662

Also, here is my suggested "fix" for the badly coloured marine blocks provided with AE (click through and read the captions):

So, to sum up. Don't worry, your game is all right and will play as intended, regardless of the block appearances!

/kgm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the block quality is inferior but I also agree it's not really a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it not really a big deal, because there isn't really much fog of war in actual play? It would seem to me that being able to identify carriers would be kind of a big deal, things of that nature...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Is it not really a big deal, because there isn't really much fog of war in actual play?

No, it is not really a big deal because most people don't want to gain an unfair advantage, so they don't pay close attention to the grain patterns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah so you are just talking BS then...

Several of these blocks are SO marked, it would be impossible to not see it and go...oh the white block with the grayish blob, that's the A CV!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meng Tan
Australia
Bridgeman Downs
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My set was fine. There were a couple of blocks that were misshapen or strangely-colored, but there were enough spares that I didn't have to sticker those. Also, I didn't see a difference in quality between my EE set and my AE set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
I think the not a big deal thing is that there is enough variation that it makes tracking them almost impossible. i.e. is that the CV or BB that has that grain to it or is it the Commonwelath CA, excpect with the lighting and it standing on end I can't really see the grain anyway. In reality the markings have no effect on play as it is really hard to tell them apart in a play setting and to remember them is even harder. Ergo no one does it, not because it is impossible but because it is highly impractical. You can also track blocks with pencil and paper if you wish but no one does that either. How about trying to see the blocks in the reflection of your opponents glasses?

Try playing and I think you'll find your worries evaporate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own about 25 blockgames (Columbia Games, Worthington Games and GMT) and the block quality varies from game to game and from publisher to publisher. Nevertheless it has never been an issue to me. The differences between the blocks are only visible from a short distance and under optimal circumstances. Besides that (and that's said before) in a tense game it's impossible to learn the enemy blocks by head and, by doing that, see where the enemy units are deployed.

The only problem I have as owner of the first edition of "Europe Engulfed" is the hard to tell difference between normal Russian units and the guards-units. Those two different shades of red are almost impossible to separate from each other.

Edit: typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Brown
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even get any blocks with my game.Waiting for GMT to send a new set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
IGNITION - bringing enlightenment where once all was dark
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ah so you are just talking BS then...

No, I think he is just saying that with a little intelligent application of stickers it doesn't matter. I own a lot of block games. The paint issue is consistently worse than I would like with all of the game manufacturers I have purchase from. I would very much like to see better paint jobs.

However, in practice, and despite my concerns, I'm finding it has not been a problem during play. Most games come with extra blocks so you can avoid using the worst offenders, and I am careful about how I apply stickers (which side of the block is used, which stickers go on which blocks, and selection of which edges may be up edges). So far so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.