Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The box is THICK, sturdy, and I LOVE the silky matte finish. almost feels like you could step on it without damage! Zman has always done GOOD boxes.
Just felt they deserved some positive feedback about it so they keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the box too, but the insert was immediately tossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My insert was gone before I even got the stuff out of the box. I read about it and was prepared with sleeves, baggies, and rubberbands....(wait I am ALWAYS prepared with sleeves, baggies, and rubberbands when I open a new game.)

that is also why I started this post. Lots of complaints about bad inserts and missing cards, and I thought it would be nice if the ZMAN guys could pop in and see some GOOD feedback on something....

Now that I own my own business... it's little things like that that keep me from torching the place with everyone inside......shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:

Now that I own my own business... it's little things like that that keep me from torching the place with everyone inside......shake

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
www.zmangames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob McMurray
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - I love the box too. Z-Man keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
I love the box too, but the insert was immediately tossed.

Same here. The insert was gone before I ever played the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Fiji
Savusavu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as already said, box is nice but insert is horrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the box too. The size is great. The insert is pretty much useless, so that was tossed immediately.

I just wanted to mention that rubber bands aren't the greatest thing to use on cards. Over time they deteriorate and harden and end up sticking to the cards. Those little stretchy hair tie things work great. I just bagged mine though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm relatively new to boardgaming, but it certainly seems to me that Z-Man is one of the best publishers out there. He can deliver a sizable quantity of a product while also maintaining high quality and great customer service.

Bravo Z-Man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Robledo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Click my Extended Stats user Microbadge!
mbmbmbmbmb
Favre4MVP wrote:
I like the box too. The size is great. The insert is pretty much useless, so that was tossed immediately.

I just wanted to mention that rubber bands aren't the greatest thing to use on cards. Over time they deteriorate and harden and end up sticking to the cards. Those little stretchy hair tie things work great. I just bagged mine though.

Sleeving the cards before rubber banding solves the problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
The box is THICK, sturdy, and I LOVE the silky matte finish. almost feels like you could step on it without damage! Zman has always done GOOD boxes.
Just felt they deserved some positive feedback about it so they keep it up!

Completely agree! I just received my copy in the mail and I was going to post this laugh I wish more of my boxes were like this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Love the box, but not so sure about the box art. I almost passed it up in the FLGS because it looks like it came straight out of the early 80s. I was drawn to the theme (my girlfriend is an epidemiologist) but assumed for a few moments that the game had been around for a few decades and I'd never heard of it because it wasn't notable.

The Z-man name tipped the scales toward purchase since I enjoyed 1960 so much, and I'm thrilled with the purchase after several plays, but I still can't shake my distaste for the box art.

For a few minutes last night I wasn't so thrilled after losing on a chain of three outbreaks leaving me one red cube short. Red was one city from eradication in the early going, but duty called my medic across the globe before he could get there. It built back up while I dealt with flareups in Europe and the South America and then wiped me out on a couple unlucky draws. And the cards to cure the final disease were in my next player's hand when the game ended. Argh!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Griffin
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wooda wrote:
Love the box, but not so sure about the box art. I almost passed it up in the FLGS because it looks like it came straight out of the early 80s.

Are you kidding?! The box art was the best thing about it after it's quality. I loved the old 80's look.

Keep up the excellent work Zev!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
The box is THICK, sturdy, and I LOVE the silky matte finish.

I love that the same finish is on the board. Not only does it have that nice suede-like feel but it really cuts down the glare from lights. I notice this especially since I'm short and often have to deal with glare on some part of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
that is also why I started this post. Lots of complaints about bad inserts and missing cards, and I thought it would be nice if the ZMAN guys could pop in and see some GOOD feedback on something....

I have made some of these comments, but didn't really intend them as complaints (more like informative tidbits.) But I will reiterate what you have said...

This box is spectacular. And, furthermore, this game is stellar. With a couple more plays this may rise into my Top 10 games, it's that good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I thought the box art is great and for me, that early 80s look is a major reason for buying the game.

wooda wrote:
Love the box, but not so sure about the box art. I almost passed it up in the FLGS because it looks like it came straight out of the early 80s. I was drawn to the theme (my girlfriend is an epidemiologist) but assumed for a few moments that the game had been around for a few decades and I'd never heard of it because it wasn't notable.

The Z-man name tipped the scales toward purchase since I enjoyed 1960 so much, and I'm thrilled with the purchase after several plays, but I still can't shake my distaste for the box art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The box is great quality with some nice art. I loved the artwork on the board though, it looks like a hand painted map. Fantastic. Regarding the insert, does anyone know what that black foam rubber piece was for?

The best part about the box though is what's inside. Inside that box is an absolutely fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the foam insert was to make both decks the same level in the box, so the board would rest on the evenly, since the infection deck is smaller.

The 80's art is a HUGE plus for me too, I ALSO was iffy about it at first, but after I saw the insides were SO gorgeous, I realized that the intent was to have this look and not a cheap-out, so I like it more and more all the time.

for those of you cringing at me... when I say rubber bands, I did mean to the hair tie style, they go around without having to double up and denting the cards or degrading and sticking to then. sorry if I caused any stress to the component careful crowds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
I love that the same finish is on the board. Not only does it have that nice suede-like feel but it really cuts down the glare from lights.

YES!

I've been meaning to mention that point. The matte finish on the board is outstanding. Our main game table has a rack of lights above it that illuminates very well, but has the nasty side-effect of creating bad glare on glossy boards.

Thanks for the matte finish on the board!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Deagan
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The word that keeps coming to mind for me regarding the box and board is.... LUSH!

I was blown away from the moment I touched it. As I set it all up for a quick solo play, I became completely taken in by the game art. The rules are OUTSTANDING!

I left my insert in the box, upside down and out of the way.

This game set a new standard in my collection for production quality and sheer tactile satisfaction.

Plus I LOVE full co-op games (ability to play solitaire is huge bonus in my book,) adore the theme and found that it hit a sweet spot for difficulty/depth for me and mine.

Kudos to Z-Man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The main components of the game are great, no question. Nice cubes, pretty decent cards, a great material for the box, and a great rulebook. Zev's standards on rulebooks have gotten a lot better since Sienna and Fairy Tale.

The smell of the box is pretty awful though. The baggies for the components are not reusable, and the insert is criminal: There's space for the fingers on the side of the cards, but it only goes half way! I hate tossing inserts, but this one will have to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.