Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I drew the Medic and the Scientist for this intro game with 4 Epidemic cards. Ironically the Medic always had the best "runs" of cards so it was better to have him cure the diseases even though it took more cards. Yellow was cured REALLY fast, then black, then blue. Black had semi-threatened to run out of cubes before the cure (down to maybe 5), but the medic later cleared a lot of this up. By this time we had built a research station in Hong Kong and London. I was only half way through the deck, and had faced 2 Epidemic cards. We had experienced 6 outbreaks, and another one would have gotten the red cubes dangerously low (less than 5). The medic once again had the 5 cards we needed. He stepped into the Hong Kong research facility and cured the red disease. There were a whopping 21 cards still left in the draw deck when I won.

I'm wondering why I never really felt threatened in this game. I'm sorry if that sounds arrogant, because I don't mean it that way. Was I just a lot luckier than I realize, since this was my first time through? Did I just happen to draw the best two roles? I agree that one more outbreak in a bad spot (red) would have lost me the game if there was a chain reaction, but other than that possibility I thought 4 Epidemic solo with 2 characters was pretty simple. Am I ready for 5 Epidemics yet, or should I get a few more 4 Epidemic games under my belt? Thanks for the advice.

PS - The research stations and player pieces seem WAY too big. Still quite enjoyed this game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that with 4 epidemic cards it is pretty easy. It may be a good setting for someone without a heavy gaming background. Also, two-player isn't anymore difficult than four player; the starting cards of 4 a piece is pretty killer and likely ends at least one disease after a round or two.

Also, when you play solo, you don't have conflicting ideas about where the game is going; you're essentially working a puzzle.

I think you'll find the game more challenging (and fun) with 5/6 epi cards and actual team members.

I'd also like to add that even with 5 cards some games feel less threatening than others because of good player card draws and spread out infection draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules only suggest using 4 epidemics for your first game; then move on to 5. You should find it a lot more exciting

It does sound like you had pretty good luck on the card draws. Getting the five of a kind you need makes it much easier than having 2 of each color in hand, stressing over which to discard, tossing a red, and then drawing 2 more red next turn.

It also sounds like, if you had 6 outbreaks already and places set up that could easily chain, you were within one bad infection draw of losing! After you lose a few games to drawing the wrong card one turn before you could get the final cure you may feel more tension as the outbreak track increases!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Pierce
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milank wrote:
I think you'll find the game more challenging (and fun) with 5/6 epi cards...
Epinephrine? Excellent! We can run around jabbing everyone in the thigh. :-)

I've played 4-player Pandemic a couple times and liked it. Lost, of course, but liked the game. I'd very much like to try a solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any hard data to back this up but having played ten 2 player games and six 4 player games so far I think the 2 player game is a bit easier. We always play the 2 player game with 5 epidemics and still win nearly half the games. The 4 player game was only beaten twice using 4 epidemic cards. We will be playing the 4 player game with 5 epidemics for the first time tonight but I'll be surprised if we win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

That's funny. When I typed that I thought of an epipen, too (I'm supposed to carry one for most of the year).

I recommend solo games. They're pretty fun and you can play any amount of roles.

BTW you aren't an IL2 pilot are you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My hypothesis is that the smaller numbers of players may make things a bit easier by giving each player more frequent draws, and therefore making it a little easier to get cures without trading knowledge. If you have 4 red, getting the 5th red to find the cure just by drawing it is a lot easier if you're drawing every other infector turn instead of every fourth. If you're drawing only one infector turn in 4, you'll probably need to trade, which can be time-consuming.

On the flipside, you lose one or more roles. Which can be a bummer; they're all good.

If you're a gamer, you should definitely go pretty quickly to the 5-epidemic game. If you want something a little harder than the regular game but not as brutal as Heroic, you could start the infection rate marker on the second circle instead of the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Pierce
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milank wrote:
BTW you aren't an IL2 pilot are you?

Nope. Just to keep everyone totally offbalanced and thoroughly confused, I'm an American, using a transliterated Russian username, using a German Me109 (one of Galland's 109, BTW) as my avatar, an ATer, who is playering way more Eurosnotish games these days. And, I'm not really a pilot, but a spacecraft propulsion engineer. So, at least my microbadge is correct.

Oh, and to answer your question directly, I've never played the IL2 game, though I have done quite a few WWII simulators. The WWII airwar (primarily European theater) is easily my favorite gaming genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Pierce
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milank wrote:
Quote:

That's funny. When I typed that I thought of an epipen, too (I'm supposed to carry one for most of the year).

To get back on topic...well, sorta...
One of the guys I work with grew up in rural Tennessee. As a kid, he was helping his dad with some veternary stuff with their cattle. He'd somehow managed to get units mixed up and gave a calf a 10x dose of epinephrine (he said they pronounced it "E-PINE-Frine" LOL). Poor calf, it's poor heart musta been going ninety-to-nothing...for a few minutes. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lynch
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game yesterday (2-player, 4 epidemics).

We lost due to too many outbreaks, even though we played 1 rule wrong for half the game.

You can only trade cards between players when you use the exchange knowledge with both player pawns in the same city, and that city HAS TO BE THE CITY ON THE CARD EXCHANGED.

We missed the part in caps/bold. Did you perhaps miss that as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.