Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Rademaker
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I watched episode 74 of the Dog Whisperer, original air date 9/25/06. The lady owner described an incident when she was playing a boardgame on the floor when her dalmation Lucy suddenly snapped at her. The camera showed her sitting on the floor alone rolling dice onto a board I had never seen before. The board was at least twice as wide as it was tall, and there were some green spaces on her right, closest to her, then some yellow spaces to the left of the green spaces. The space to the left of that were obscured by the lady's leg. The far side of the board looked like it might have been a beach.

Through several rewinds and examination of the paused pictures on my HD TV, I was able to identify this game, one that I have never played before. I'll give a geek gold to the first person who can do the same! I have given all the clues I will give for now, because you guys know your games too well and I want this to be a slight challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sounds like a D-Day scenario of Memoir '44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorwolf wrote:
The camera showed her sitting on the floor alone

I think this clue rules out M'44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Rademaker
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my first guess also, but no- the board looks to be wider and less tall than the Memoir '44 board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Rademaker
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbilbey wrote:
Thorwolf wrote:
The camera showed her sitting on the floor alone

I think this clue rules out M'44

Just to be sure no one is led astray- the game is not listed here on BGG as playable solitaire. Of course many of us have enjoyed playing multi-player games alone, and they may have just staged her playing alone for the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Rademaker
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No more guesses? I'll try this again, with an extra hint: The game has mainstream roots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thorwolf wrote:
No more guesses? I'll try this again, with an extra hint: The game has mainstream roots.

You had the benefit of looking at the game! We just have to go off a description. I was hoping I could find a youtube of the episode or see if it would be aired again. But no luck so far.

I am not sure what mainstream roots might have to do with this, except that their games have been popping up all over modern media (The Geek Squad, Sally Forth comic strip). So I'll venture a guess for this other DOW title:

Shadows Over Camelot

It's the only board I can think of that has the green and yellow (which isn't the beach itself) but does have it's own beach on the board. Fiots the colors but the board is square - unless the "board" includes the mini-boards that can flank it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marena Tiano
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game you are refering to is "Advance to Boardwalk".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Rademaker
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamegrl2 wrote:
I think the game you are refering to is "Advance to Boardwalk".

CONGRATULATIONS! (and enjoy your geekgold tip ) I would be interested to hear how you discovered the correct answer.

I had never seen the game before, but was able to stop the scene and identify the upside-down "WALK" on the box top next to her. Then I guessed "Boardwalk", as it is on a beach in Atlantic City. I then did a search here on BGG with the word Boardwalk and identified the game board with the images here. Fun stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marena Tiano
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the GG. I bought this game a few years ago at Goodwill for $1. When I read your description it came to mind. I don't have it anymore. Not a great game, but not a bad one either. At least as my memor serves me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if Cesar can just break the dog of the habit of using up all his Meeples before placing any on farms, then real progress will have been made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.