Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Wiens
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're having a poker night tonight and I'm wondering about good games to bring for the people who lose out of the game before the end. I'm thinking about liars dice and maybe Backgammon or Lost Cities for when there are just 2 people out. Maybe some other fillers like For Sale, No Thanks, etc...
Any suggestions for short games that fit the 'vibe' of a poker night well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vegas Showdown, though it might be a bit too heavy. Wits & Wagers might be a good choice. Those both might be too long and take precedence over poker, though, thus destroying the "poker night vibe" entirely.

Zendo might be a better choice. People can enter the game freely and have just as good a shot at determining the master's rule, since all the information from previous game turns remains on the table at all times. People can also leave the game without affecting the other players; only the master has to stick with it until the rule is guessed. (As a bonus, you don't have to use Icehouse pieces and could instead use whatever poker night paraphernalia you had around.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ave Caesar". I sprung this on some "tunnel vision" poker players, and it went over fine, even though most of us were s**t faced and most of the learners have the attention span of a hamster. There is a file showing payoffs, (yes, it's my file), in the BGG game listing. You must play for stakes.

"LCR" is another brainless diversion...but you've got to play for money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wong
United States
Daly City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Felix the Cat in the Sack. It has bidding, some bluffing, and a start player marker which is almost the same as a dealer button. It's pretty easy to teach and learn, and games last about 20 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If participants still want to be betting once they've lost once, may I suggest Martian 12s, a game for 2 Treehouse sets which scales 2-5 players. It was designed after my brother asked me to come up with a game his Poker buddies would play and enjoy.

Martian 12s was just announced as the winner of the Winter 2008 Icehouse Game Design Competition . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'd recommend Double or Nothing, as it has gambling-style theme, and will get those "press your luck" juices flowing.

Plus, there are probably about a zillion copies around here for trade or cheap sale, as Tanga gave them away for the price of shipping around the end of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chinese poker. very fun with two, plays up to four, and actually plays well using points instead of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wiens
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
I'd recommend Double or Nothing, as it has gambling-style theme, and will get those "press your luck" juices flowing.

Plus, there are probably about a zillion copies around here for trade or cheap sale, as Tanga gave them away for the price of shipping around the end of the year.

Right on. I actually have a copy of Double or Nothing that I've never played and basically forgot about. Great suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cash & Guns is a big hit too.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/19237

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a very poker-ish feel try: Doolittle & Waite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.