Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been a long time since this game saw the light of day around me, but my wife Claire (who recently became a BGG member) was taking pictures of the gameboard and wanted to play. So, we dusted off the box, opened it up and got to it.

Claire chose the Abrana the Warrior, and I went for Kador the Dwarf (who walks slowly but only needs 10,000 GP to win). Quickly we cleaned out the 1st Level (I got the sword and secret-door card), and I headed out to the 2nd Level while she had some difficulty with a green slime on the 4th Level. She eventually bested the slime (though wounding herself in the process) and got a jade idol for her troubles (5,000 GP), but I continued to clean out most of the 2nd Level, getting the other sword and secret door card while amassing 9,250 GP, less than 1,000 GP away from winning.

After healing up in the center, Claire headed my way to the 2nd Level, grabbing the remaining treasures from there. Thus, I needed to beat a 3rd-Level monster to seal the win. Alas, I ran into a werewolf (needed an 8, as I had a sword). Unfortunate, this werewolf proved too formidable for my hapless dwarf, and as I made numerous attempts, I could not get that elusive 8 (or 9, 10, 11, or 12). Soon after, I picked up my second wound and died. All my treasure stayed with the fierce, furry fiend.

Now Claire (who was on the other side of Level Three) already had around 10,000 GP, but decided to make a run for my dead carcass and the vast treasure within. Meanwhile, I reincarnated as Alonzo the Elf and made the same dash. Claire may have beaten me to the punch, had she not had the misfortune to cut through the chamber and draw the slide, sending her off to the 4th Level while I had time to best the werewolf (though now needing a 9).

Claire stayed around her area, taking out more creatures and racking up over 18,000 GPs while I continued to hack away at the werewolf. Eventually, (and after getting wounded yet again,) I rolled the needed 9 to reclaim all of Kador's lost treasures, plus a 2,500 GP gold cup. Shortly thereafter, Claire bested a 3rd-Level monster to claim a similar cup and make it to 20,000 GP.

I narrowed edged her back to start, winning by a turn and 2 steps. Had she had any luck with the secret doors (on two occasions she went three-and-out before getting the automatic 'in'), she likely would have won.

A fun, close finish. Expect pictures within a week or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Zekser
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Obviously you had encountered a werewolf with fighter levels! Or maybe one of those nasty Ahroun World of Darkness types.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire "Look a Squirrel!" K.

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 3 games total today, and you beated every time.

Luck was with you today.

Maybe we should play Drakon again. I have better luck there.
I'll master these games one day, I'll win.. HAHAHAHA!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ART
Norway
"Haugen"
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes. The secret doors. It's been so long, I forgot about how fiddly those can be.

Nice Animal Crossing graphic by the way, Cheetoy :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abrana the Warrior?
Was she playing a Hero, or a Superhero?

If she was playing a Hero, why wouldn't she just go win once she got 10,000 gold, if winning was important at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire "Look a Squirrel!" K.

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ahoodedfigure wrote:

Nice Animal Crossing graphic by the way, Cheetoy

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
Abrana the Warrior?
Was she playing a Hero, or a Superhero?

If she was playing a Hero, why wouldn't she just go win once she got 10,000 gold, if winning was important at all?

If the characters had names, they were playing a different game... either "The New Dungeon" or "The Classic Dungeon". Reprints from the early 1990's with different rules and board layouts to the original Dungeon!, but identical to each other.

I get a headache trying to keep-up with the BGG rules for game entry mergers/splits, so I don't know whether to say the original Dungeon! (which apparently also had three different sets of rules), and the two later versions should all be one entry. But clearly, the two later sets (New & Classic) should be merged because they are identical in rules, board layout, game play, everything except the 2D artwork... even the sculpted minis are identical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.