Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, just got TtA, myself, my son and his friend set it up and start playing. After 2 plays, we can't figure out what we are doing wrong. By the 3rd Age, none of us can actually build any of the Tech type cards because there is no way we will have enough tech.

In fact, the game seems to fly by leaving us in the dust, actually, by the 3rd Age we really can't do anything because everything costs way more then we could ever produce.

As I read the rules, every player turn, so with 3 of us, this would happen 3 times a turn, you remove the first 2 cards on the Card Track and then refill it. So the decks get burned fairly quickly, so quickly, in fact, that we never have chance to do much of anything before Age 3 shows up and we are all dead in the water. Example:

Me: Remove first 2 cards, refill, take turn.
Clay: Remove first 2 cards, refill, take turn.
Haynes: Remove first 2 cards, refill, take turn.

Randomly determine turn order, and rinse and repeat.

Is this correct? We have built a few buildings and maybe got 1 or 2 higher techs down and 'whack' Age ends. Like I said, by the 3rd Age, we are dead as a door nail.

Also, are we reading this right? At the end of an Age, you lose all the cards in your hand, your leaders, and things 2 levels lower are lost? Example: Tech A soldier is lost as soon as Age 2 starts.

I really want to love this game, but what are we doing wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Elbl
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding of the rules is that you refresh only once, before each player takes their turn.

Edit: comment was incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Thomas
Australia
Bannockburn
Queensland
flag msg tools
'The Double' 2010/11 Champions 2011/12 'The Double' 2013/14
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Icedanno wrote:

Also, are we reading this right? At the end of an Age, you lose all the cards in your hand, your leaders, and things 2 levels lower are lost? Example: Tech A soldier is lost as soon as Age 2 starts.

Technologies already in play do not become obsolete.

Through The Ages Ruebook: Pg16 The End Of An Age wrote:

When an Age ends the following cards from the previous Age are discarded:
- Cards still in hand
- Leaders
(Do not forget to adjust indicators and return tokens to the box)
- Wonders under construction
(Return any blue tokens on it to your Blue Bank
- Pacts

Your remove/refil seems to be right however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mackey
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You dont always remove two cards. You only remove cards if they exist in the first two slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
are you building enough labs, to get your science output up? are you using upgrades to your mines and farms?

also... you determine turn order once at the beginning of the game, and it remains the same through all the ages. (this is from the first version though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing -- At the end of an Age, you only lose:

1. Cards from your hand that are TWO ages below the new age (so you lose Age I cards when Age III starts, not Age II).

2. Leaders from TWO ages below yours. So, just like above. If you have Aristotle for example (Age A) he doesn't die until the start of Age II.

3. UNFINISHED Wonders from two Ages before. So Age A wonders can be finished anytime before the start of Age II.

Except for Unfinished Wonders and Leaders you NEVER remove any other played cards that are in front of you. They are yours for the rest of the game.

ALSO -- It's not clear from your explanation, but you only remove any cards from the FIRST TWO card slots on the track at the start of the turn. If someone uses one of those cards you just don't take that card off -- It's NOT the first two cards on the track regardless of position.

Hope this helps!

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Icedanno wrote:

Among the other points already made, you do not alter turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Icedanno wrote:
Ok, just got TtA, myself, my son and his friend set it up and start playing. After 2 plays, we can't figure out what we are doing wrong. By the 3rd Age, none of us can actually build any of the Tech type cards because there is no way we will have enough tech.

In fact, the game seems to fly by leaving us in the dust, actually, by the 3rd Age we really can't do anything because everything costs way more then we could ever produce.

As I read the rules, every player turn, so with 3 of us, this would happen 3 times a turn, you remove the first 2 cards on the Card Track and then refill it. So the decks get burned fairly quickly, so quickly, in fact, that we never have chance to do much of anything before Age 3 shows up and we are all dead in the water. Example:

Me: Remove first 2 cards, refill, take turn.
Clay: Remove first 2 cards, refill, take turn.
Haynes: Remove first 2 cards, refill, take turn.

Is this correct? We have built a few buildings and maybe got 1 or 2 higher techs down and 'whack' Age ends. Like I said, by the 3rd Age, we are dead as a door nail.

You seems to misinterpret a lot of rules, I will try to clear everything and sum the answers in one post:

At the beggining of the game, select (randomly or however you fancy) starting player. From now on, no shuffling happends, once one player finish his turn, the player on his left play his turn and so on.

First round is special, first player has exactly one action usable only to pick one card from a Card Row, than, player on his left, has 2 actions, 3rd player has 3 actions etc. Each player execute production and maintanance (described at Turn Overview card). Once everybody takes cards, remove cards from first 2 positions, if any (this vary in different number of players, in 2 it's 3 slots, in 4 it's 1 slot), slide remaining cards to start of Card Row, refill the emty slots with A cards.

Now the regular game beggins. At the BEGGINING OF EACH PLAYER TURN: that player remove cards from FIRST 2 POSITION (depends on number of players) on card row, if there are any, slide remaining cards to start of Card Row, refill the emty slots with I cards. Than the player plays his/her turn (possible actions are sumarized on Turn Overview card). Than the player execute production and maintanance phase. The player on his/her left beggins his/her turn.

When the age changes, you: discard both military and civil cards IN YOUR HAND that are 2 ages bellow the new age (so at the beggining of age II you discount all age A cards from your hands), discard any UNFINISHED Wonder on the table (not from Card Row), discard any leader card on the table under same condition as cards from your hands (2 ages old). If you play a Full game, than each player discard 2 Yellow tokens from their Yellow Bank.

That's all you discard at the beggining of a new age, you don't destroy any buldings (destroy building in this game means removing yellow tokens from technology cards), no removing of obsolete tech cards from the table or card row.

That seems to be everything, I'd suggest you read the rules again, there's a LOT in them, it's quite easy to miss something. From my experience, the biggest deal is to get used to all the Simple game rules which are most essential to master the fluent gameplay.

If you have any further question/need clarification, feel free to either ask here again or send me a geekmail, I'll try to answer ASAP.

Filip

EDIT: Typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yegods wrote:

also... you determine turn order once at the beginning of the game, and it remains the same through all the ages. (this is from the first version though).

Thanks, I'm glad someone said that... I was trying to figure out when and where the first player changed. I mean, why have a start player marker if you just keep going around the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
elcomadreja2 wrote:
Thanks, I'm glad someone said that... I was trying to figure out when and where the first player changed. I mean, why have a start player marker if you just keep going around the table?

Once the end-game trigger occurs, you finish the round. Since a "round" is defined as each player taking a turn, it's important to remember who started the game. Everyone is supposed to have the same number of turns. Hence the start player card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most obvious point is that: the more cards you take from the card row, the faster time goes. Your group played your first game dramatically over-emphasizing new cards, in my estimation. It is extremely important to build more farms and mines initially, build your pop, choose a leader and play him/her, and choose a wonder and play it. I find that in Age 1, there are only a few certain cards that I am really looking for (Iron, Bread and Circuses, maybe a couple action benefits, and a wonder). Age 1 seemed to go on forever in my games, as we largely concentrated on infrastructure, with a couple rare exceptions.

In age 2, though, if most players have a better developed government (I am running Republic right now in the current game), the game does speed up, as more cards are selected.

Without concentrating on upgrading your infrastructure, I would imagine that the game seems to fly by, with techs and buildings eventually coming up that you cant afford at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies!

Ok, we read it that you lost your hand at the end of an age. It says: "Cards in Hand" on the list of things that get discarded. Not 2 Ages older, just your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Icedanno wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!

Ok, we read it that you lost your hand at the end of an age. It says: "Cards in Hand" on the list of things that get discarded. Not 2 Ages older, just your hand.

Everything in that list applies to cards 2 ages older than the age which is about to start. Immediately preceeding that list in all caps and bold type is, "When an age ends the following cards from the previous age are discarded:" followed by the list which includes "cards still in hand."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't say anything about discarding either government cards or military units.

I can see that government can be considered technology so it would stay, but what about the miltary units?

Do they get discarded or do they continue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is clearly a case of "only do what the rules specifically state".

The rules state that you discard obsolete cards (from 2 ages ago) that fit certain criteria, namely things like unfinished wonders, leaders, and action cards from your hands.

Military cards and government cards aren't mentioned, so they are left alone.

You can play new government types as normal, from your hand.

For military cards, as you play them, they'll go into the "future events" deck, get shuffled into the "current events" deck, at which point the rule about sorting the events deck according to the ages will come into play. In fact, this will probably be around the only time that you have military cards from a mixture of ages in a current events deck, and have to sort them ... just after the dawning of a new age, when people are getting rid of their old events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BodhiWolff wrote:
The rules state that you discard obsolete cards (from 2 ages ago) that fit certain criteria, namely things like unfinished wonders, leaders, and action cards from your hands.

Rob, just an FYI clarification - be careful of your terminology... "action" cards refer to the yellow civil cards in all decks, so your quote of the rules is incorrect as stated. The end of age rule states that all cards in hand from the previous age must be discarded. This includes all types of civil cards plus military cards, but ONLY those from the age previous to the one just ended. For example, at the end of Age II (which is the beginning of Age III), discard all Age I cards, both military and civil, from all hands. This includes leaders, technology, government (a type of technology), action cards, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.