Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With two players, they play Red vs Blue and the setup looks like this:

(The flock is facing down the screen.)

Then the players do two rounds of Panic Die rolls, doing the Lamb Slams (or Ewe Turns) that come up, before moving on to the "proper" turns for Paddock #1 where you score if your own sheep are near each other.

Lets assume you are playing Red.

My strategy question is: It's the very very first Panic Die roll of the game, you roll Green. Is there anything useful you can do? Similarly, is there a prefered direction for a first-roll Ewe Turn?

Any other roll has obvious potential, but these two just seem to be contributing to randomising the startup. (Which would be fine. This is a strategy discussion not a complaint.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
Any other roll has obvious potential, but these two just seem to be contributing to randomising the startup. (Which would be fine. This is a strategy discussion not a complaint.)

Although there might be some slight strategy to the initial Lamb Slams, I really think that in all versions of Shear Panic (2, 3, or 4 player) these are merely meant to be a way of randomising the startup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well certainly you can use most of these startup slams to nudge your opponent's sheep apart and your own together. And you might even consider working your own toward the front and theirs back a little.

You can come out of the slams with quite an advantage. In our last game, my wife had such a positional advantage (she went first) that she got her one score in, then I simply rushed to the end of Paddock #1 because I wasn't going to get anything out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Lamont
Scotland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Joe,

We had not noticed the setup had been changed ! In our original design, we played the set-up as normal (with each colour a knight's move apart). Credit to Mayfair - they came up with the excellent idea of having each player roll twice (instead of once) at the start of a 2 player game to mix the flock up more.

**IGNORE MY COMMENTS HERE - see BELOW. I MISUNDERSTOOD THE SET UP !**
However, going back to your question - I would lamb slam one of the green sheep down the side of the flock. This is because :-

1. It puts the green sheep further apart for scoring in the first field (they are now more than a single lamb slam apart).

2. I like having my opponents sheep to the side of the flock as it makes them more vulnerable to wool rule and ewe turn.

3. It moves the green sheep to a space not touching the black sheep (with an eye on the 2nd field scoring). Having sheep on either side of the flock also makes it more difficult to get both sheep next to the black sheep in 1 move.

4. It may allow you a more flexibility should you roll green again.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head .... :-) My brother may disagree ! You might also - do you have a preferred move and, if so, why ?

Cheers,

Gordon

Gordon Lamont
Fragor Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gordon, thanks for chiming in.

In the Mayfair setup as shown, only Red and Blue are the active players so I don't need to worry how Green will score. I'm assuming I'm Red, and trying to promote my position / make it harder for Blue.

Mostly I asked the question because I was writing up a complete point-by-point session on a game my wife and I really enjoyed recently. I took full notes and reconstructed the game afterwards. Neither my wife nor I can figure what on earth she was thinking with her opening move... as Red, she slammed the top left Green sheep down/right and resolved the flock by pushing her loose Red sheep back to the left.

(It put her sheep one step further apart, and didn't touch my blues.)

Anyway, neither of us are experts. We made two incorrect moves during the game! (We picked up on one at the time, but not the other.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Lamont
Scotland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Joe,

I just realised after I posted that I had msunderstood the initial set-up. I have spent all morning as a pirate arrrh running a fundraising treasure stall so my mind is putty !

Looking at it again I would push down with the left hand green sheep. This causes the front left sheep to be further away from the other blue sheep. There is now a sheep directly in between them which is slightly more awkward to deal with. Both red sheep are still in touch with the black sheep for the next round. They are able to move into touch with one another relatively easier for this round. They are also now near the front for Roger's field (although this is some way away).

Cheers for now - and have fun !

Gordon

Gordon Lamont
Fragor Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman wrote:
Both red sheep are still in touch with the black sheep for the next round.

Err...isn't the first round the one where you have to be next to each other not the black sheep?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.