Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings!

Welcome to yet another first play session report. Due to getting back into boardgaming after not buying games for a while, I've been playing a lot of games for the first time, and this was one of 'em!

After a session of Pen and Paper role-playing, my group decided we had enough time left in the evening for a board game. Prepared for this contingency, I had brought Citadels along - it both supporting a larger amount of players, and being small enough to fit in my case. As I'd heard good things about it, I was certainly looking forward to it. Also, I've been wanting to play another Bruno Faidutti game - the only one I've managed previously was Nightmare Chess. I have fond memories of Bruno being very participatory on rec.board.games, back when I was posting there.

One of our seven folks decided to sit it out (to work on something related to the RPG), so we had six. I believe 3 or 4 had played the game once before, but myself and one or two others were new to it.

My edition being a newer one from FFG, it came with the The Dark City Expansion included. While during set up we removed the character cards from the expansion, we inadvertently left in the expansion building cards. Regardless, it was easy to learn, and everyone got the gist of it quickly.

Play progressed and people slowly started in with getting their buildings set up. Scott, one of the first time players, seemed to both have a penchant for drawing the king, and getting assassinated or being the target for the thief - this set him back a bit. The early lead seemed to go to Chris, who was the first to get four building out - and this made him a target. Unfortunately for him, two of his buildings were religious (blue), so it was often easy for someone playing the assassin to predict he'd take the bishop.

Rick, a player famous for winning in our group, had gotten some higher priced cards down, and seemed to be able to generate at least 5 gold each turn. Peter also seemed to be doing well, at least in the number of buildings placed - but a smart play of the Wizard by Rick stole his six building hand for a return of one. I was having a difficult time getting the expensive buildings that made up my hand out.

Towards the end of the game, Craig (a poker player) started catching up in terms of building cards played, and Scott had made a bit of a comeback from his earlier setbacks. Rick played late in the final turn, using an expansion building that allowed him to end the game when a player had seven buildings out (instead of the normal eight), which Chris did. Chris's buildings were fairly low rent, unlike Ricks, however. Only one player got to act after this move - Craig, who using the architect, played out two low cost cards - that allowed him to collect both the first player to eight bonus, and the five colors played bonus.

In the final tally, this move enabled Craig to catch up to Rick - they tied for the win! Scott had come back to place behind them, and both Peter and Chris faired much less well than they seemed to be threatening to do to my inexpert eye. The final scores were:

Rick 33
Craig 33
Scott 27
Mike 22
Chris 21
Peter 15

All in all, a fun game that everyone enjoyed. The outcome seems a little trickier to figure out than it first seemed. The easy learning curve and shorter play time makes it likely that this will hit the table again.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report. Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to play this game? My first game was almost 2 hours!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it ran us a little over an hour, perhaps edging on an hour and a half - not bad with learning the game. We knew it was getting late, so that motivated people to keep it moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.