Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
I won Colossal Arena for the first time last night (our third or fourth game overall, I can't remember which), and looking back on the game I did three things that had been red flags in earlier sessions. The only thing I got "right" was never betting on the Colossus, which in our group always plants a bright red bullseye on your back -- it just has such a desirable power.

Normally, I would have gotten in on three monsters fairly early on; this time I only bet on two. A good hand and a healthy measure of luck that meant this usually risky move paid off, and both of my creatures survived to the final round.

I was also pretty obvious about which creature had gotten my secret bet. Right before my turn, another player idly pointed out that I was probably going to join another player who had bet on the Troll. It was a good idea, so I plunked down my bet -- not too secret, really.

Lastly, I backed the Titan and used its power (stealing a card from another player's hand) three times -- a good way to encourage whomever you steal from to try to get back at you. I got lucky with all three draws, and no one retaliated. (In retrospect, it was 2:00 AM -- maybe we were all just tired!).

In the end, I won by a margin of a few points, with all of the other players having lost at least one bet on a fallen monster. I didn't write this to brag about winning the game, though: I wrote it because I thought it was interesting that changing past behavior, coupled with some good luck, led to victory. It's made me look at Colossal Arena differently, which is something I always enjoy about playing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.