Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing the old version a few times lately, and this has highlighted some of the (relatively minor but still annoying) flaws of the original. Assuming there are no radical changes, here's what I'd like to see changed:

* Make the multi-status variant the standard, and make it easier to handle. This would require making statuses less complicated to manage (less complicated effects, some need to be easier to get rid of) and maybe look at the interactions of some of them. Maybe put a time limit on the most negative ones that currently are quite difficult to get rid of, like Insane and Wounded.

* Even if the single-status game remains the standard version it needs to be easier to keep track of the effects of your status. Putting a short version on the player mat would help, as would tracking them with cards instead.

* For similar reasons it would be nice to have separate cards for the quest variant (the most interesting version IMO, unless you want to go for storytelling). Having the location(s) you need to go to and the table in front of you instead of having to go to the book each time would speed up the game considerably.

* Fix the repetitive nature of the "forced encounter" statuses, primarily Lost and Imprisoned.

* More (and perhaps status-specific) origin/destination counters. It's difficult to keep track of everything when you're Married, On Pilgrimage and Outlaw and only have two chits.

I think that's all for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No disrespect intended to the OP, truly, who I'm sure has some good ideas, but my wishlist for the new edition:

Resist the impulse to "fix" things in a game that has been highly sought-after for years for a *reason*. I don't mind tweaks here and there, but I just hope they're very carefully considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
I think that Lost and Imprisoned are unnecessarily tedious, and could certainly be improved without hurting (or indeed changing) any other aspect of the game.

And the status issues are one of the most unsatisfying aspects of the game. The single-status version makes a theoretically interesting status like Beast Form turn out to not matter - all you have to do is get lost or wounded and voila! you're not in Beast Form anymore. The multi-status version is broken because the interactions of the different statuses don't work in many, many cases.

It's hard to imagine fixes to the status rules making that part of the game less fun than it already is.

Now, the thing that I'd like to see in the new edition is for the Book of Tales to be available in a usable electronic format, so that the tedious die-rolling and table-lookup process could be eliminated. Such a format would also make it possible to create new Books of Tales (or extend the existing one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about giving sub-Saharan Africans a city like everyone else, instead of a cluster of huts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Resist the impulse to "fix" things in a game that has been highly sought-after for years for a *reason*. I don't mind tweaks here and there, but I just hope they're very carefully considered.

I certainly don't want changes to the general flow of the game, but there are some minor problems that should be relatively easy to fix. (I'd also like to point out that most of what I suggested above doesn't change the play or even rules of the game at all, or, in the case of separate quest cards, only in a very minor way.)

I've played the game quite a few times with different groups, and the recurring complaints are:

* the single-status game is unsatisfying
* the multi-status game becomes more complicated than it needs to be because the information you need isn't readily available
* the multi-status game can lead to "locked" situations where it's nearly impossible to get rid of a very debilitating status (for example, having a status you can get rid of by paying Destiny Points and a status that prevents you from gaining Destiny Points)
* being imprisoned or lost becomes boring very quickly, and since it happens to at least one player in nearly every game that is a problem

These are not major overhauls that would change the feel or spirit of the game, which I definitely want the new developers to preserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I don't know this gmae but ...

When we cross the seas, can we encounter some creatures (as Kraken or other awful seas creatures) and fight them ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you certainly can! I don't think the Kraken itself is in the game (at least not the old edition) but there are terrible sea creatures, including the Dandan which is a gigantic sea-something-or-other. Though when we've played, travelling by sea most often leads to you being shipwrecked or taken down to the Undersea Kingdom by way of more or less friendly merfolk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My one wish - the map must be extraordinarie, spare no expenses! Sort of an updated French Edition map with extra flair that really evokes the subject mattter and bring it to life. You should have astoundishing details to look at and components that sets a new standard. No less!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.