mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My cousin and I were playing a 2-player game with the scientist and researcher last night on normal setting. We started off pretty strongly curing Yellow within the first two turns through a combination of having 2 cards of that color in our hands. That and the fact you start on a research station in Atlanta meant that I could give him my two yellow turn one and he could cure as his first action on turn two.

After treating the two nearest infected yellow cities (I believe Miami and Mexico City), we decided to what seemed the more contentious spot in the midst of Europe and the Middle East. Between Blue and Black, there were already five or six spots which had started off with three or two blocks within this section of the map. By both of us trying to handle this spot we hoped to stay within reach of one another so I could give him my cards and stem the tide of what we deemed was the Hot Zone for the game. However, we left Santiago with a single yellow cube on it as it was the last Yellow city left and we figured we could get back to it once we either had Blue or Black cured.

Again, we thought we had things under control. Red was only flaring in two cities, both of which were within reach of our Hot Zone. Nothing seemed to be happening over in Asia at all. Overall we were basically biding our time, treating the flares of Blue and Black each map until we could get closer to the cure for both of them. In the span of the next seven or turns, we turned over one epidemic and had three outbreaks, all of which were from a single instance of chancing leaving a pair of three cube cities alone in order to get to two others that were further out in the map. I think our mistake was in thinking it would be more beneficial to treat the edges of our zone and work to meet in the middle. When (of course) one of the two cities flared, that set off the first chain reaction that netted us our first three outbreaks.

Then on turn six or so, Santiago had the epidemic which immediately set off outbreak four. Again, we didn't think it was that bad since Santiago only reaches one city. We decided not to treat it, which would bite us in the ass.

We both rushed to take care of the the three cube cities that were now flaring in between blue and black. One wrong turn (especially after reshuffling the infection discards back into the deck after the epidemic) could have spelled a chain reaction of four outbreaks which would end the game.

I think around turn ten, I had enough cards to give my cousin the cure for black so we were trying to incorporate into the plan a third research station in one of the three cube cities. This I accomplished handily, both getting one of the three cities down to one cube and setting up a research station. Now all my cousin had to do was get to the station so he could take the two black cards to cure that disease. Turn eleven was his so we decided to spend his turn to move to the station without benefit of a direct flight to the remaining three cube cities bordering the new research station.

Well, you can probably guess what happened next.

At the end of turn eleven, he pulled as his first infector card one of those two horrible cities, setting up a three outbreak chain reaction. Now we were down to the wire. One more outbreak and we were done for.

And as his second card, what does he pull?

Santiago.

We both were stunned. We really had ignored South America for the last few turns that we didn't even notice it had been sitting there with three cubes all this time.

It just goes to show you, sometimes you need both players in one area of the map but, more often than not, it's those outskirts that you leave unmolested for too many turns in a row that sneak up and kill you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report -- fun to read!

Reading your description (or any detailed description of impending disaster involving Pandemic) makes me shake my head in remembrance of all of the "damn, if we only would have done this" moments I've had with the game.

Pandemic is truly the most fun I've ever had losing a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Pandemic is truly the most fun I've ever had losing a game.

Well said, and I echo it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Santiago was a sub-standard Marine. He was being transferred off the base...

That's not what you said!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
fastfingers wrote:
That's not what you said!

Must've said something else because you can't handle the truth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.