Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Creveling
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of our members just had a stroke. Currently he has no use of his left arm. We are trying to find games to keep all of us engaged that are not to frustrating for him to manipulate. He enjoys Carcassone and plays it online We've also played ticket to ride and Zooloretto together. Also does anyone no of good accessories for other game type that might help. Suck as card shufflers and Holders for a hand of cards.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Ray
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bruce
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't want to know what my first reaction to this thread title was. I mean, I know we love our Euros round here but seriously... blush

As far as games, I'm not so sure. With a little help I suppose most Euros could be played one handed. Maybe Alhambra might be a good one? The thing he'll struggle with is cards, as you say, but I saw these recommended by someone the other day:

Card Holders
http://www.independentliving.com/prodinfo.asp?number=257418

I can't vouch for them personally but I remembered seeing them and dug back through my history . Someone on here definitely had good things to say.

Best wishes to him, chin up and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, this is not the thread I expected to find. I am sorry for your friend. I am in a similar situation as my mom had a stroke-like condition 8 years ago that still has left her one side paralized. We have been trying to find games that work for her as well.

I can suggest one thing that will make your life much easier - get one of those wood card racks. The sturdy ones with slots cut in (not racks like memoir or scrabble). This frees up the hand and allows a lot more possibilities - especially for all the card driven games like Bohnanza, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, etc.

Really, most games seem to be tied up in holding and manipulating a hand of cards. If this aspect is removed, the rest is usually pretty manageable.

Oh, and if you have a bit of trouble getting the holder, we found that most game boxes worked ok. put the lid on the bottom and turn it upside down. You can then stack your cards in the slot created between the lids and it is a sturdy base. The Bohnanza box worked eally well when we brough it along.

As far as where to find the card holder, I will have to ask. They found it on vacation. My mom was estatic when she found it and so proud we could make gaming easier on her.

Good luck to your friend and I'll pray for a healthy recovery.

EDIT: A quick search found this:

http://www.unclesgames.com/product_info.php/cPath/413/produc...

What my mom has is solid wood (instead of the leg) but it appear similar. I looked at the link above and I am not sure how practical it would be. It appears that it still needs two hands to "operate." It seems more designed for those having full use of two hands but have trouble gripping cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For card holders, I'd suggest something along the lines of the ones used in Memoir '44. These can easily be used one handed. They are prone to being knocked down. Scrabble tile racks might work too, especially for smaller cards like Ticket to Ride.

Chessex (http://chessex.com) was selling some curved wood card racks at GenghisCon in Denver. However, I don't see them on their site. But they're really nice looking: just a curved piece of wood with a slit in the center to hold cards. They come in various lengths. You might call the company and see if you can order by phone.

A couple of games I thought of were Ra and Medici. Both are fun auction games and neither require you to hold anything. You just place tiles you've one in front of you. Tigris and Euphrates or Samurai both use screens to hide your pieces, so could easily be played one handed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious works with only one, as the tile rack holds all the pieces.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Creveling
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I got some excellent card holders from Great Hall Games. Good price, too.

http://www.greathallgames.com/

Click on "Cards and Accessories" at left, and then "General Card Accessories" in the following page.

$3.50 each. Sturdy. Nice finish.

I'm going to order of few of these tonight! They'll be good to have around the house even if they don't work out.

Ray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, I have full use of both my arms and I'm still going to get some of these. Nice thread. Here's a prayer for your friend's recovery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ray,

Tell your buddy we're rooting for him.

The 10 Days in.... series games come with their own tile holders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim+64
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good card holder is the "Card Holda" (www.cardholda.com). A nice feature is that it will stand up with the two ends and the central handle forming a sort of tripod if you don't want to hold it. It's stable enough that kids rarely knock it over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Marostica
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
The 10 Days in.... series games come with their own tile holders.

Which are great to use for cards as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And as a general suggestion, lean toward games with perfect information or close to it. It would seem to me that keeping cards to yourself is what makes it really hard. Something like El Grande, for example, you don't really have to keep anything hidden or anything like that. The only time is when you have to choose a region secretly, but that's easily done with one hand. Puerto Rico and Power Grid are a couple of others that spring to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Walsh
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In general, any game without set collection or a lot of cards should be fine. Card holders would help, but might still be frustrating with a lot of cards, or in the instance of knocking it over. Perhaps another option might be to make screens. If each player had a screen protecting their area, then they could stack or lay cards face up and would simply have to look down when they needed to reference their "hand".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
List created for a different reason but this geeklist may have some suggestions for you.

When my dad was in post-stroke rehab, I was struck by how many dexterity games would be great in an Occupational Therapy enviroment.

Best of luck for your friend's recovery.

(Edit: Weird to see how my game taste has changed in 4.5 years ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroish Games I like that don't require holding a hand of cards, etc:

Army of Frogs
Blokus
Blokus Trigon
Carcassonne: the Discovery
Clans
Gipsy King
Glik
Hey! That's my Fish!
La Strada
Neuroshima Hex
Rumis (if he has good control of the working arm)
Tantrix
Terra Nova
Through the Desert

2-player:
Cathedral
Fjords
Gipf project games (Tzaar, Dvonn, Gipf, Yinsh, Zertz, ...)
Hive
Kogworks
Mr. Jack
Pentago
Quarto
Mastermind
Ta Yu
Travel Blokus
Trax
Zombiaki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
To the long list above, I will add:
Reef Encounter (my current favourite)
Tigris & Euphrates
Pickomino
Yinsh
Ra
Santiago
Pillars of the Earth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish you friend a speedy recovery.

These games don't need two hands:
Hey, That's My Fish!
Diamant

Also I publish a game: It's Alive!, which doesn't require two hands.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I might recommend Galaxy Trucker. They actually have a rule that you can only use one hand in order to construct your ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainJax wrote:

Also I publish a game: It's Alive!, which doesn't require two hands.

Although this is an ironic place to include this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Guay
Canada
Memramcook
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the thread I expected either. My first thought was “hey they probably have a baby just like me, who needs to be help a lot during gaming sessions” My son is 9 months old tomorrow and although he will play by himself quite a bit, it’s impossible to play through an entire 1 hour game without needing to have one of us hold him for a while.

Agricola(family version, without the cards) has been very playable for us

Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Creveling
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has had some awesome ideas. I can't wait to play again.

Ray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.