Dungeon Twister» Forums » General

Subject: "Free Choice" Balance question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Kocet
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played my first few games of DT and I like it a lot. I decided to order 3 of the expansions (the only ones currently in english) and I was wondering about the "Free Choice" game. I like the idea of being able to have your own unique custom team. However, with the free choice rules you characters and items are secret until the game starts, correct? If your team and items are secret...how do you decided what items to take? Some items and characters are specific counters to other characters. (Dragonslayer, Holy Cross, Troll Slayer, fire protection shield, etc.) How do you decide what items to take when you have no idea what you are up against? I love the idea of custom teams, but getting the right useful items for that match seems impossible. Is it as bad as I think it is? Is there another way of doing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like there's obviously no magic answer (the question is about any such situation in any game where you simultaneously pick your forces, not just DT; e.g. building a deck in MtG)... Either be cautious and take only stuff you know will be somewhat useful against everyone, or use your intuition about what your opponent will take and then take some specific counters that, gambling that you're right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Wiels
Belgium
Chatelet
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Jared,

The point of the free choice is to build your team and somehow make it win. Trying to create a team to "counter" your opponent game is not a very positive thinking, and it can be very dangerous... It is best to create your team around a concept with multiple combos and solutions.

Example: you can play 4 blocking rooms (like the grey rooms in the basic game) with no fountains, with Golem, Wallwalker, Ghost, Spectre, Illusionnist and Cleric, the remaining characters being supporting cast (let's say Weapon Master and Thief). Of course, you should try to play a pair of objects that enhance the concept.

About the specific objects, I play them when they cannot be used against me. I won't play the dragon slayer if I play the dragon. I won't play the cross if there are undeads in my team. Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Kocet
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
About the specific objects, I play them when they cannot be used against me. I won't play the dragon slayer if I play the dragon. I won't play the cross if there are undeads in my team. Etc.

I guess that makes the most sense. I guess I was just afraid there would be no point in fielding the "counter" objects if you don't know for sure. Like it may be better to use the regular sword instead of the dragon slayer since it would be more diverse. Perhaps I'll just have to give it a try when I get my expansions and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Kocet
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What if Free Choice was modified in such a way that after you secretly pick you teams, you get to look at your opponents team and THEN choose your items secretly. I just don't like the idea of not choosing a dragon slayer and then have to be up against three dragons. You choosing a dragon slayer and not fighting any dragons at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Tanchel
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The skill is in choosing and using your team. Part of the game is bluffing and counter bluffing even in the team selection phase. Who does he always take, shall I take this item to combat that strategy etc.

If you dont like it, you don't need to modify the free play rules, just create your own rules for team selection.

We use many variants on team selection like 2 characters from each set maximum(with any items you like) or even choose your opponents team, choose boards 1st and then choose your teams. We even do a 3 game series where you have 24 characters and 18 items used in any legal combination. Choose a team for game 1 and then use what is left for game 2 and the left overs for game 3(if needed). First to win 2 games is the winner. We also always play to 6 victory points which makes a better game in our opinion. Suprisingly most times it results in a close fought contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.