Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does the APBA Master game add to the basic baseball game? I know it's a spiral book, but what does it add?

Also, what are master symbols which need to be bought separately from the season cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Patton
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
The master game differs mostly by using individual ratings for things that are handled generically in the basic game. The player cards used in both games are the same, the master game simply incorporates the extra ratings.

In the basic game, for example, stealing is handled automatically with the result on the card - a result "11" on a hitter's card when looked up in the basic result book is a single+stolen base. In the master game, you call for steals as a managerial option, so each player has a master game steal rating - the "11" result is only a single in the master game book, whether or not the player steals is up to the manager given the steal rating of the player compared to the throwing arm of the catcher and the hold rating of the pitcher.

All of these ratings are the master game symbols you purchase as a add-on to a card set. They include things like steal ratings, more exact running ratings (the basic game has only slow, fast, or average runners - the master game has base running broken into a 1-20 scale), defensive throwing ratings - for pitchers you get things like individual WP, balk, home run allowance, holding baserunners, and fatigue ratings. There is also a platoon system that gives batters individual ratings vs. left or righthanded pitchers. All of these things require buying the master symbols.

The biggest change between the basic and master games is in the pitching grades. In the basic game you have 4 basic grades, in the master game you have 30. The spiral book you were refering to are the result tables that use this system of 30 pitching grades in what's called a "pitching change table". The book replaces the basic game result tables entirely, you can't play the master game without it. The master game book also has a rare play system not found in the basic game.

The master game is the one I play exclusively, without the platoon ratings, pitching grades/fatigue, rare plays and so on the basic game seems to me rather, ah, basic. However, I have serious gaming friends who swear by it - the big advantage being the basic game's rather simple results are easily memorized, meaning you can play games with lightning speed and little loss of accuracy. The master game, with its details, does take more mental figuring, sometimes excessively so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.