Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oyvind Rolstad
Norway
Lillehammer
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is it possible to play this game solitaire without loosing too much of the gameplay? Obviously card auctions will not work but is it possible to play with 2 or more races and get som meanigfull game out of it? The concept for this game looks very interesting..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Douglass
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it four times by myself simply playing two different roles. I play games alone often...shake Card auctions are not too bad, with Phil's rule variant, most of the time each player will hold onto a biddable card until they have the advantage in elders to bid.

I'm not sure why, but I get a kick out of playing this by myself. I kinda root for whoever is the underdog, but my favorite is Peking Man. A runaway leader is possible, but only if the leader makes good choices and gets lucky with the card draws and dice rolls. A nice aspect of the game to keep the runaway leader issues in check is the fact that you have to go into a dark age to advance in Eras, and you want to advance in Eras to get better cards. Going into a dark age is pretty rough, but if you go into a dark age and then get hit with a disease, or chaos, or catastrophe, the tables of the game can turn rather quickly.

I love the theme and got to play with Phil, which helped in understanding the unique game design and mechanics. When I realized how much thought he put into the game to make it at least a fairly realistic game of civilization development over 100,000 years, I guess I became addicted. A lot of the game is based on ideas discussed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)

I'm about half way through "Origin of Conscious...", and find it fascinating. Having a game based off of such interesting ideas (including Jared Diamonds Guns Germs and Steel), I just think this game is under appreciated and look forward to my next game (either solo or otherwise). Really excited to try out the new Era IV deck coming out so I can get my energy levels higher.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it solo a couple of times to learn the rules, and it works fine. There isn't much secret information, and what there is isn't something you can guess much about anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
For recommended rules on solitaire play, see:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/304070

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.