Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Murphy
United Kingdom
Herne Bay
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
A group of us love Doom, and the other day were talking about how cool Warhammer quest was.
I then found this on here, its seems like a good game, but is it just a doom variant, does it add much in itself?
Basically it comes down to, do you guys think its worth me buying this game? Or should i go for another dungeon crwaler if i want to recreate the hack and slash days of my youth. If another game, what would you reccomend? Preferably one without a DM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent uses the same basic mechanics as doom but adds a *lot* more on on top. The things that Doom and Descent both share are:

* Configurable map pieces
* The action system (run/unload/advance/ready)
* The order system (guard/aim/dodge/rest)
* The combat dice
* Skills dealt to each player at the start of the game

The extras that Descent adds on top:

* Different characters to play (as opposed to Doom's generic marines)
* Three different types of attacks (melee/ranged/magical)
* Starting skills sorted by three different skill types (combat/subterfuge/magic)
* Bonus combat dice dependant on a character's traits in the three different attack types.
* A much greater variety of weapons/armour/equipment to be found in the dungeon (or bought in town).
* The concept of "conquest points" which can go up or down for the heroes, replacing the concept of "frags" in Doom.
* The concept of "fatigue" - a character resource that allows the character to perform more actions than would normally be allowed.
* A much greater range of monster abilities and effects (which can also be conferred on the heroes if they have the right skills/equipment).
* More varied quests (as opposed to "get the hell outta here!").
* On combat dice "ammo" has been replaced by "surges"; instead of each one rolled using up a resource as in Doom, each surge allows you to increase the power of your attack or activate other interesting effects.
* The evil player's event cards now have a "cost" in order to be used (paid for by discarding unwanted event cards).
* The soon to be released campaign expansion.

I'm sure there's a million other things that other people could add on top, but those are the main ones that come immediately to mind at the moment.

Hope this helps,

Chris.

EDIT: Thought of two more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Murphy
United Kingdom
Herne Bay
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks alot,
That was a really quick reply, i think i may well be getting myself a copy.

Murphy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Crockett
United States
Bridgewater
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same spawning rules, but with 4 heroes it's a lot easier to lock down spawning.

No Chainsaw in fact, sweep is rather difficult to get as the Heroes.

Armor works in a different way (it's now simple damage - Armor = Wounds as opposed to damage / armor = wounds, which allows for a wider range of Armor values)

Descent starts out a lot easier, the expansions quickly ratchet up the difficulty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, and think they're different enough that one could enjoy either or both.

I like Doom because it's lighter, quicker. (Cheaper too)

I like Descent because it has more play options, more characters, more complexity, and well. . . just more. (including a higher price tag and longer playing time).

I can play either, depending on my mood, so that's why I don't mind owning both. If you own Doom and think you'd like a more complex game with more choices and wouldn't mind (or even want) a longer playtime, than Descent is a perfect choice and well worth the cost. The expansions do add a lot, but in my opinion, are not strictly necessary. Though I'm glad I own those too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.