Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ugh... for a SECOND EDITION, the rulesbook in this game is an inexcusable mess.

The rules about attacking/counterattacking/special moves are particularly opaque and poorly explained (which is brutal considering that combat is 60% of the game) and are a source of endless aggravation while trying to noodle out what the designer's intent was.

Here are my questions:

1) when a dungeonlord uses a monster to attack and chooses its attack mode (physical vs. magic) is the hero forced to defend with the same attack mode? (magic vs. magic, etc.)

2) How and when does a monster's "counterattack" power ever come into play?

3) What is up with the kludgey system of player special attacks that require spending a movement point (out of turn) to use? I understand why this exists (for player vs. player combat) but for a hero to use movement out of turn to attack a monster that has just attacked him requires a small amount of bookkeeping that just seems weird and clunky.

There may be more but these are the ones that come to mind first.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kakupacal wrote:
Here are my questions:

1) when a dungeonlord uses a monster to attack and chooses its attack mode (physical vs. magic) is the hero forced to defend with the same attack mode? (magic vs. magic, etc.)

2) How and when does a monster's "counterattack" power ever come into play?

3) What is up with the kludgey system of player special attacks that require spending a movement point (out of turn) to use? I understand why this exists (for player vs. player combat) but for a hero to use movement out of turn to attack a monster that has just attacked him requires a small amount of bookkeeping that just seems weird and clunky.

1) Yes.

2) Quest based monsters and monsters that stick around can be attacked by a player and therefore need all counterattack values. There is also a variant with wandering monsters that stay on the board.

3) It is a little clunky and not explained very well. It is good to attempt to eliminate a monster now that may otherwise be used to attack you in the future. You can also attack it with a type that the monster is weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3) One official variant is to do away with the "saving a movement point for later use out-of-turn" rule and replace it with "you may Tip your hero out-of-turn to initiate an attack". I find it easier to play this way - it's much less book-keeping than the original rule. Note that you still need to spend 1 movement point to untip your hero before doing anything else on your next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for the replies, fellahs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Vigil
United States
Waynesboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TaleSpinner wrote:
3) One official variant is to do away with the "saving a movement point for later use out-of-turn" rule and replace it with "you may Tip your hero out-of-turn to initiate an attack". I find it easier to play this way - it's much less book-keeping than the original rule. Note that you still need to spend 1 movement point to untip your hero before doing anything else on your next turn.

Ah... perfect fix!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Seidel
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok...years after the initial post my journeys brought me here. i appreciate the light brought to the dungeons to clear the mist from a travelers weary eyes. but...is it "heroesque" to be thrown on the side every second turn...by the way: what is that "turn-thing" they all kep babbling about?

cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.