Subject: Monster Discard Pile? A myth or am I sleepy and skipped it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the rulebook, I noticed on the illustration of the game set-up (page 6), there is a monster discard pile. However, no where in the rules does it mention putting cards there. (They all go to the moor pile or the players score pile, correct?) I haven't read the text on the all the cards word for word, so maybe there are some that state 'put this in the monster discard pile'. When, if at all, do you place the monsters in the monster discard pile?

Another question: At the start of a game, player one draws a monster they can't defeat, but successfully flee-- this monster goes to the moor. Yet, according to the rules of the hunt! phase, that player must randomly draw from the moor (thus picking that same monster they just escaped from). The rules do state that this time around you can't flee the monster and you must fight it. I just thought this was kind of odd. I think if this happened, the player would just pick from the monster draw pile, but there's the chance it might not be a monster, but rather an event card...I'm probably over thinking this too much, but I know when I play with my friends this no doubt will come into play.

Any non-sarcastic replies would be great. I've seen way too many posts back and forth before someone finally gets a straight answer. shake

-Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The event cards from the Monster Deck go in that discard pile... I think.

And as I remember you are not required to go hunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Just played a few times last week (love it btw, but you don't care about that part =P), and it looks like Donald nailed it: the Monster deck contains Monsters, duh, but also event cards which get tossed into a Monster discard pile. As well, as Donald stated, you're never FORCED to go hunting from the moor--also, the hunting is from taking a RANDOM monster from the moor, so you never know, you could get the Giant Rat or the Ghost if you're lucky.

By now... you probably know all this, seeing how it is 6 mo. later, but I just wanted to affirm Donalds answers for future users... man I wish they'd make a sequel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that when you defeat a monster, it goes in the discard pile. If you flee or fail to defeat the monster, it goes in the moors.

So monsters you defeat dont return to the game - unless the monster deck runs out, in which case you reshuffle the discards and the moors and create a new monster deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.