Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Hart
Australia
Lilydale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After dinner at a friends place, I settled down to clarify a few points about beach landings using Sword Beach. Once we went through the rules a bit, and cleared up my bad preconceptions about how things worked, we got down to business. On the first game, I was Allies, him Axis.

This was a classic case of being distracted by the defenses, and not thinking about what could get me the victory as quickly as possible. I got bogged down in dealing with the Fortifications, instead of going after the towns at the back, which, counting their defending unit, would get me 2 victory points each. I did manage to get rid of the central artillery, but a bit late in the day. The Axis player managed to get his armour out from the corner, and eventually made it's prescence felt, as I played around with the forts.

Germans won 5 to 3 here.

I must admit, when originally looking at this scenario, I remember thinking to myself, as I looked at the victory points at the back, "nah, I'll never get those. I'll just try to see how much I can kill near the beach". Unfortunately, the Fortifications are a tad hard to crack. The Cards weren't doing anything particularly marvellous for me, nothing disasterous though. I had no particular bad or good luck with the dice as well.

My friend commented after that he had some feedback to give me, but, he would test it by us swapping sides, and his would test it on me by playing the Allies himself. So started the second game.

My opponent was not distracted by the fortifications, and realised that he could let the PBI deal with them, as a distraction, whilst the armour cleaned up the barbed wire, clearing the way for the Commando's,who, with the extra speed, managed to take 2 of the back towns. I did have one rather bad piece of luck: at the start I did try to get my armour out, they managed to make it into the town, unfortunately the Allied player was dealt the Barrage card, rolled his 4 dice, and got: Flag, Flag, Flag, Grenadecry. As I was immediately next to my own back rank, these retreats were instant kills for me. The Allied player eventually, after some blood, managed to clear the Central Fortification, which allowed free access to the Central town, and the winning roll: 6 to 3, Allies way.

- minor edit for spelling & punctuation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.