Wallenstein (first edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Bartlett
United States
flag msg tools
Wallenstein for Three

War amongst the Germanics began after a quick game of Industria and before games of St. Petersburg, Clans, and Web of Power. Chris, Zambo (Steve), and cc_TheToph (me) joined together to put the ‘allenstein in Wallenstein. I have no idea what that means.

The initial province selection gave us a pretty clear idea of how this game was going to go. Even though we tried to avoid it, Steve and I ended up forming in two layers on the western edge of the map. I had the actual edge, and Steve lined up right next to me, I was capped on the bottom, leaving me only a small out in the northern red provinces through which I could expand. Steve had more open area, but a massive enemy force behind him. We knew that we were going to have to be open and cautious in order to avoid an unnecessary war. Chris, on the other hand, was spread out over much of the board. It seemed obvious that Chris was going to expand easily and dominate the game. We were all but ready to hand the game to him, no problem.

We were wrong.

Steve played cautiously, skirmishing a little here and there with Chris. We all built, and mostly had favorable taxation rounds. Two bumper crops helped in the first year, and farmers offered little resistance to our nationalistic aims. I was able to collect some red provinces despite heavy casualties… the only time the farmers fought well all day. Steve and Chris expanded a bit in the blue, green, and purple areas. Many A&B battle movement options were left blank.

The scores after Year One:

Chris – 10 (provinces) + 6 (buildings) + 9 (bonus) = 25
Steve – 9 + 8 + 10 = 27
Toph – 11 + 8 + 6 = 25

Year two was angrier, as it often is, but not so bad in autumn (when the battles usually occur). It was spring that saw the first shot fired, and summer that saw the retaliations. I attacked Steve in the NE portion of the yellow provinces, stealing Gft. Mark. The horror was the fact that this was Steve’s grain producer for the spring…. Ouch. Needless to say, Steve died a little, and his undead gaze settled on me like the horrible weight of a thousand Germans, left to starve as their general drove his troops all over creation. Winter was coming for the yellow troops of Zambo…

An interesting event occurred in Year Two. Because of an arms race, coupled with odd placement of the taxation phases, all three players seemed to be treading on bankruptcy the whole second round. There were many occasions when buildings just could not be built. As a result of this, and a tit-for-tat battle between Steve and me, and Steve and Chris, development was stunted in Year Two. Church peace came up, and Bayern was the poisoned area, and in the end, four grain were lost. Steve had two revolts thanks to losing his spring harvest, but avoided disaster. We all knew it was a close game…

Final Scores:

Chris – 25 (1st Round) + 11 (provinces) + 9 (buildings) + 9 (bonus) = 54
Steve – 27 + 9 + 11 + 9 = 56
Toph – 25 + 12 + 13 + 7 = 57

All three players separated by three points, with a one point victory. Holy mackerel, what a game.

Wallenstein is just as good three-player as it is five-player.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.