Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of those people who play this game, thinking its a very nice match, thematically. Even with the abstracted combat, Spider-Man vs Ultron (who was trying to release poisonous gas into the environment) was a tremendous battle (that ended in a loss for Spidey). However, once I finally got Jean Grey into play towards the endgame, after keeping Magneto from ever really getting started with his Master Plans, I discovered something: I was better off not fighting him. I completed a 5 point Headline, which took me past 15 points...so I just let him build Asteroid M, instead of wasting resources trying to fight him off. Dr. Strange was moving to catch up with me, and did get a tie...so I tackled another Mastermind Headline with Jean Grey, toppled it again (silly Sandman), and again opted not to fight Magneto, as him reforming the Brotherhood meant nothing at that stage...the game rewarded me for acting unheroically...=(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pragmatically turning whims into principles
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommy3Count wrote:
I'm one of those people who play this game, thinking its a very nice match, thematically. Even with the abstracted combat, Spider-Man vs Ultron (who was trying to release poisonous gas into the environment) was a tremendous battle (that ended in a loss for Spidey). However, once I finally got Jean Grey into play towards the endgame, after keeping Magneto from ever really getting started with his Master Plans, I discovered something: I was better off not fighting him. I completed a 5 point Headline, which took me past 15 points...so I just let him build Asteroid M, instead of wasting resources trying to fight him off. Dr. Strange was moving to catch up with me, and did get a tie...so I tackled another Mastermind Headline with Jean Grey, toppled it again (silly Sandman), and again opted not to fight Magneto, as him reforming the Brotherhood meant nothing at that stage...the game rewarded me for acting unheroically...=(

Of course, had he gotten that third master plan, you would have taken a big hit, no?

That's the main reason for fighting them; to keep yourself from taking that 5 VP hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e h
United States
fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i hate that all you do in the game is fight. theres nothing else to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redhawke wrote:
Tommy3Count wrote:

Of course, had he gotten that third master plan, you would have taken a big hit, no?

That's the main reason for fighting them; to keep yourself from taking that 5 VP hit.

Yes, but...the point of my story is that by the time Magneto got to attempt his masterplans, we were so close to the endgame that it was, literally, impossible for him to achieve his third masterplan...even with me just handing him two in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bark40oz wrote:
i hate that all you do in the game is fight. theres nothing else to it.

That is what happens mostly in comic books doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.