Subject: Tell me about Imperial... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chistopher Frazier
United States
Barnegat
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I know nothing about this game, but the box cover art is nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial

That should help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tbftne wrote:

This game makes me want to wear tophats and monocles while I play, and possibly a fake moustache (even though I have a real moustache).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Roach
United Kingdom
Ellesmere Port
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will get lots of replies telling you how good this game is but this is the only game that I flat out refuse to play after having two completely miserable experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything good about this game. I really really didn't like it.
Probably the only game at this moment I absolutely refuse to play. Although the idea is fun that you can get control of any country, it is an enormously boring game. But to each their own. I know some people that really like it, so this is just my personal opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Ganis
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is like Puerto Rico in some respects. There is no randomness (apart from the random initial turn order), so given that fact, the person that 'knows' the most about the game should win.

That being said, this game can be EXTREMELY HARD on beginners. You can literally lose the game with your initial purchases. Beginners also will not have any strategy worth a damn, and will feel that way as well. The final straw is that a beginner will focus on building up a country only to have it bought out from under them. These things conspire and can make a really poor first experience.

However, the depth of this game is awesome. Multiplayer with 4 good players can be extremely exciting, and the 5 player is pretty good too.

So if you buy the game and are new to it, play it with a bunch of beginners. If you have a friend who is good at Imperial, have him give advice to all players for a full beginner game. If your friend is great at Imperial but win-at-all-costs, don't invite him over for the first game. He could make it a truly bad experience for everyone else.

-JoeG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a beginners' game set-up that gets everyone off to a balanced start. It is probably way too balanced for interesting play once you have the game figured out. But I think it makes a helpful learning game.

I played it last night. It was my second play, and everyone else's first play. I did not win. I made a strategic error that cost me control of my nation (Italy). Then I found it impossible to get back into the game. I was low on cash (I had 2 million), and no other players chose the investor action for the counties that I had bonds in, and there were no bonds that I could buy.. We played without the investor card, which probably made the game less forgiving of such mistakes.

I think it was pretty well received for a deep game. I am eager to give it more plays to see how it evolves for my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tbftne wrote:

Despite its appearance, it is not a wargame, though military conflict and resolution is a small part of it. You don't have to be a military strategist to succeed.

Players invest in the arms industries of the countries represented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
i've been very impressed with this game so far and wish it would get played more at my club. it seems very replayable and you need to play it alot to get good at it, a sign of a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
My comment about Imperial: thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
To me Imperial is one of the best games ever produced.
It's a gamers game, very dense but very fair to all players. It has no luck associated.
The rondel works very fine and some rules makes it very very original. Some people could actually find it with a bit too much downtime but that only happens in the first couple of games. After that you should be involved in every decision of every nation playing.

Paulo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, most of these responses don't really tell you much about the game. Maybe if the OP could be more specific about what he wanted to know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D K
Sweden
flag msg tools
For me also Imperial is one of the best games in existense. Extremely deep strategy. Tension from the first second. Every move counts. Immersive.

"I played it last night. It was my second play, and everyone else's first play. I did not win. I made a strategic error that cost me control of my nation (Italy)."

When you get more experienced with Imperial you will most likely stop thinking in terms of "my nation". I am pretty sure that your largest strategic mistake was not that you lost control of "your" country. Deciding that some country is "my" country and then doing whatever you can to remain in control is almost never a good strategy in Imperial. When you buy think more ruthlessly about where you can make the best investment. Then you will probably beat your friends.

As a misunderstood wargame, Imperial is just frustrating. As a very deep investment game Imperial is wonderful. IMHO.

How you produce and move your armies is less important than how you buy bonds. What decides which country you should buy in? How do this assessment change in different phases of the game? How big do you buy? How much cash do you buffer up? Do you trade up an existing bond? This is where a game of Imperial is decided.

Thinking in terms of "my" country is a sure way to ruin your own investment strategy. It is like buying Apple stock because it is "your" company. Buy the best stock instead. Then again, knowing which stock is best is far from trivial. Which country is the best to invest in in Imperial at a given moment is something that can be discussed for hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial is like pure awesome distilled into boardgame form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to learn about this game, I recommend you go to the game's page (Imperial), scroll down to the Forums and click on and read the reviews that are there. It also never hurts to read session reports.

Imperial is a game about multi-player investment in a collection of European countries, the fortunes for which rest on their military and diplomatic prowess during the game.

It is best played with the Advanced rules, wherein the Investment Card is not used; however, playing your first game this way is not advisable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason rundell
United States
Adamstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial is a great game - sort of a mix between diplomacy (the board, setting, no-dice conflict resolution, etc) and an economic game like acquire. It is fun and engaging - especially with 4 players. Do not use the beginner set up - that can lead to a boring game where someone gets their initial country taken and has no countries for a while and no money. The bidding is easy to teach and play and makes it so it is harder for you to be shut out if you don't want to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D K
Sweden
flag msg tools
DarrellKH wrote:
It is best played with the Advanced rules, wherein the Investment Card is not used; however, playing your first game this way is not advisable.

I disagree with that. I like the game much better with the investor card. I find strategy much deeper with the incerased timing of actions that are needed with the card.

Just personal preferences of course.

I definitely agree that the initial bond auction makes for a more interesting game than the beginners setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.