Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike had brought along a bunch of old games... mostly Avalon Hill titles, but he'd also selected this TSR title. I was intrigued for I hadn't heard of it. The back of the game suggested we could play it in one hour, so it seemed a good fit.

The idea of the game is that you're apprentice knights going on Quests and performing other deeds of Valour, so that eventually you'll be considered worthy of becoming one of King Arthur's Knights.

Set-up for the game involved sorting out a bunch of chits (all single-sided; this is not a game of great chrome) and then rolling to find our home provinces. I was Scottish, as was Rich. Otherwise we were scattered across Britain.

I was designated as rules-explainer and was handed the rulebook. At this point, I began to feel trepidation: the rulebook was 32 pages long! It also was... unclear. Hmm. Perhaps this wasn't going to be a good game to play just at this moment.

You see, Knights of Camelot isn't like a modern Eurogame. No, it has several rules, and is more akin to early Dungeons and Dragons in style. Looking at it now, it would probably benefit well from the FFG Arkham Horror style of development. It's a real AmeriTheme game.

However, we might be able to fake it. Movement rules were fairly simple. Move up to 3 areas if you're on horseback, one area if you're on foot. Hmm. Did you have a horse? Beats me. I scanned the rules. Couldn't see something. Mike had the first turn, and we assumed he didn't have a horse. He stepped out of his home castle. Did he have an encounter? Oh, you roll a die, and on a 1 you get an encounter. No.

Hmm. I think we weren't quite getting this game. Rich, you can have a horse. So, Rich came out of his castle and got attacked by a Knight. Combat isn't that difficult: you roll 3 dice, your opponent rolls 3 dice, and the difference is how much damage the loser takes.

One of the odd things about the game is that you rarely roll more dice than your opponent - only when you're fighting Brigands or Animals. Normally you've got the same number of dice or less. Beginning knights can only take 5 wounds before they're defeated, and Rich was fighting an "average" knight who could take 12 wounds. Somehow, he won... aided no doubt by my rolling a total of 3 on 3 dice for his opposition.

At this point, we conceded that we had no idea of what we were doing with the game, and decided to leave it for another time. Rich was declared the winner (he'd defeated someone in battle), and Mike came second (by virtue of actually having a turn).

I'm happy to report that I have subsequently borrowed the game from Mike and now know how to play... so, for our next boardgame day in two weeks, I dare say we'll actually be able to have a full game of Knights of Camelot. Expect a report thereafter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one amendment. Mike was the one who had a solitary turn. I stayed in my castel drinking mead the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed! Thanks, Randy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tripp Ritter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played this for the first time yesterday. It's buried, but you do start with a horse. It's an odd place though, very easy to miss. You can also get new ones back at your home castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.