Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike P
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
Stop! That tickles!
Not unlike many people on the Geek, I have the goal of converting my wife into a gamer. I don't even really care if she becomes a regular gamer, I just don't want her to automatically run away as soon as someone mentions playing a game.

So I asked people what the single best game would be to try to convert her, based on some of her interests. Of course, I got several good suggestions, but one that stuck out was 10 Days in Africa. She is interested in Africa and would like to go there someday. We even have one room in our house decorated in an African theme. This seemed like a low-stress, quick, easy game with a theme she would be interested in. I quickly placed my order.

I got the game on Friday and quickly opened it up in front of her. I was trying to see her reaction. It was a busy weekend, so we didn't get a chance to play until Sunday. Unfortunately, I had to beg her and promise that the game wouldn't take too long. This was not starting off too well.

I tried to explain the game very carefully, so she would not get frustrated, but she still got confused on a couple of things. We started playing and things looked good. I had terrible draws, maybe I didn't shuffle the tiles well enough. I ended up with 5 airplanes and 1 landrover, none set-up too well. From her comments, I got the impression that her first rack was set-up pretty well.

I never want to lose a game, but this time was an exception. I really hoped that she would beat me.

I started getting the perfect tiles to help me, and was quickly getting set-up. At one point I needed to discard my landrover that was stuck between 2 countries that I didn't want to lose. I was surprised to see her ignore the landrover and draw a different tile. It looked like she didn't understand the value of the landrover. I picked it back up on my next turn and was close to finishing. I then got the tile I needed to win and reluctantly showed my winning hand. She was upset that she was so close, so I asked if she would like to play again. Luckily she agreed.

I gave her some hints about picking up the landrover, or at least discarding on top of it if she didn't want it, and she knew she had screwed that up. It was good to see her picking up some strategy.

The second game seemed more normal and I quickly got into position to win. I had Benin and Ghana seperated by a bad tile. I needed Togo or Burkina Faso to win. After several draws and discards, I was getting nowhere. MY wife was drawing quickly too, so it looked like we were both hoping for 1 magic tile. I ended up changing tactics and flying to a different part of Africa. I thought it might be a mistake because it still left me with 2 tiles for the win, but I got lucky and the right tile came up quickly. As it turned out, my wife had Burkina Faso and the Congo and was waiting for a blue airplane for the win. It turned out to be the next card on the draw pile!

We both agreed the game was fun, but I was hoping she would have liked it more. I had thought of throwing the game, but she told me she would have killed me if she found out I did. She is not opposed to playing it again, but I will probably have to wait a while before IO try again

I give it a 6, but it will get a 9 if my wife requests it.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.