Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I thought I had created an Icehouse game. I went for months thinking it was really so, but then today I realized it wasn't 100% true. Sure, the game fits the Icehouse system very well and looks good as an Icehouse game. I used the pyramids to create the game, and they were an excellent tool to do so, as I used some of the characteristics they have.

But, now that the game is done, I thought to myself that this game could be played with regular cards. Each player would need the same 12 cards (1 to 3 in all four suits), a 5x5 board made up with face down cards and some pawns in different colors. That's it. It's that simple.

That got me thinking: Would this work as a piecepack game too? And hey, it does work, needing just a piecepack set for a 2 player game, although I'd say it's the most unconfortable version. Of course, you could play with the piecepack set the same way as with the cards: 12 tiles for each player numbered 1 to 3 (requiring one set per player) and a board made up of 5x5 face down tiles. But I wanted it to play with just one set, using coins on top of a board made with tiles.

This solution is not ideal, as each coin needs to be positioned at a different angle to represent the three numbers. This solution can be prone to errors during gameplay if players are not careful and keep each coin positioned at its correct angle, but hey! it works!

Of course, another solution is to just ignore the priority rules and either play with a fixed turn order or just change the turn order sequenctially each round (first player becomes last, second player becomes first, etc...) The game might really work well like that, as it'd be more simple and would play faster.

So... what is an Icehouse game? What is a piecepack game? There are many other examples of games that can be adapted to many different sets of components, so to me, the strength of a game sytem lies in how it helps my creativity when I'm designing a game. I may use its components one way or another, but in the end, the result may not be exclusive to that system. I don't see a problem with that, as it'll make the game more universal. More easy to get played.

Don't you have a piecepack set? Don't you have an icehouse set? Then, you might want to throw together a couple of standard decks of cards and give this game a try...

-Jorge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.