Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Pandemic, so I'm wondering how hard it would be to come up with a Pandemic VASSAL module...? I may be speaking out of turn, because I know absolutely nothing about creating VASSAL modules...but I was wondering if anyone who has experience with VASSAL might have input on this....

Thanks,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I do not create mods, but I play a few. I thought this would be good to get on Vassal except for one major thing: the infector deck. I am not sure how (or even if) vassal can accomodate shuffling just the discards and then placing them on top of the existing deck. In addition, I am not sure how one would go about drawing a card from the bottom of the deck either.

In all vassal mods I have played, the deck automatically randomizes when you draw a card. So the concentration of the previously played cards would continuously shuffle. And speaking of that, this feature would also screw up how you build the Player Deck. there would be no guarantee (in my limited knowledge) that the Epidemic cards would stay within their section of the deck. You could very well pull all Epidemic cards in the first coupole of rounds - or none until the end of the game.

Hopefully I am wrong and this is a feature that can be turned off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it is Java somebody might be able to create the code necessary to do it, but that is way beyond me. I am probably wrong, but it sure seems like there should be a way to do what you are talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Neumann
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
In life you have to do a lot of things you don't f*cking want to do. Many times, that's what the f*ck life is... one vile f*cking task after another.
mb
jrbentley wrote:
I love Pandemic, so I'm wondering how hard it would be to come up with a Pandemic VASSAL module...? I may be speaking out of turn, because I know absolutely nothing about creating VASSAL modules...but I was wondering if anyone who has experience with VASSAL might have input on this....

Thanks,
jrbentley

I got the OK from Matt and Zev to go ahead with a VASSAL mod. I'm currently working on a mod for Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization and Prophecy, so it might be awhile, but it will be out eventually!

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Neumann
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
In life you have to do a lot of things you don't f*cking want to do. Many times, that's what the f*ck life is... one vile f*cking task after another.
mb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

In all vassal mods I have played, the deck automatically randomizes when you draw a card. So the concentration of the previously played cards would continuously shuffle.

This is a feature that can be turned off. It may take a little fidgeting to get the reshuffled infection cards on top of the rest of the infection deck, but I'm pretty sure I can figure out a way.

I already have a couple ideas

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have multiple decks. Deck 1 has all the infection cards to begin with. When the first epidemic is hit, the discard becomes deck 2, then the next epidemic makes the new discard deck 3 etc. Always draw from the highest numbered deck at the end of a turn. Draw from deck 1 for the epidemic "off the bottom" card. This will have the same result of shuffling and putting it back on top. The only difference is that you can actually see how many cards are left before you'll get to "new" cities that weren't drawn in the previous epidemic cycle (or ever). Which you can already do if you count the cards.
Forecast also creates a new deck of 6 cards. So there will be up to 8 infection decks in play, the original deck, 6 new decks created by epidemics, and one deck created by forecast. In reality, most of these decks will almost always be empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Neumann
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Have multiple decks. Deck 1 has all the infection cards to begin with. When the first epidemic is hit, the discard becomes deck 2, then the next epidemic makes the new discard deck 3 etc. Always draw from the highest numbered deck at the end of a turn. Draw from deck 1 for the epidemic "off the bottom" card. This will have the same result of shuffling and putting it back on top. The only difference is that you can actually see how many cards are left before you'll get to "new" cities that weren't drawn in the previous epidemic cycle (or ever). Which you can already do if you count the cards.
Forecast also creates a new deck of 6 cards. So there will be up to 8 infection decks in play, the original deck, 6 new decks created by epidemics, and one deck created by forecast. In reality, most of these decks will almost always be empty.

GAH!!!! You're giving away my secrets!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neumannium wrote:
jrbentley wrote:

Thanks,
jrbentley

I got the OK from Matt and Zev to go ahead with a VASSAL mod. I'm currently working on a mod for Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization and Prophecy, so it might be awhile, but it will be out eventually!

Dave

Hoorah! This is great. Really looking forward to this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This module is well done, but it's a great example of how lacking Vassal is in basic control of games. If I want to play a 3p game of Pandemic, I should be able to click a single button and have the entire game setup performed (shuffles, epidemic card distribution, role selection, 9 infection cards drawn and cubes placed, etc). Having to do all this manually is THE reason Vassal is the domain of die-hard gamers. I play ASL over Vassal, and I still couldn't figure out how to setup Pandemic even following the detailed instructions given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Neumann
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ekted wrote:
If I want to play a 3p game of Pandemic, I should be able to click a single button and have the entire game setup performed (shuffles, epidemic card distribution, role selection, 9 infection cards drawn and cubes placed, etc). Having to do all this manually is THE reason Vassal is the domain of die-hard gamers.

Well, everything you want to do is doable in VASSAL. This isn't my mod...I never finished mine (got derailed with my Through the Ages mod), and I haven't seen a vassal mod of Pandemic yet.

I have other mods that delete cards at startup based on number of players, etc. Heck, my Arkham mod deletes all the appropriate monsters from the cup when a GOO is chosen and replaces them all with a monster unique to that GOO.

So, it's really how complicated the designer wants to make it.

My TtA module will do what you want. When you start the game and select 2-player, all the 3 and 4 player cards will be automatically removed from all decks.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
This module is well done, but it's a great example of how lacking Vassal is in basic control of games.

So wrong. It is more a good example of sparse design in that the designer wanted to keep it as close to the experience of the actual boardgame including setup I would guess - not the capabilities of Vassal itself. The game pandemic is quite basic, even all the rules could be handled by Vassal if one wished

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
This module is well done, but it's a great example of how lacking Vassal is in basic control of games. If I want to play a 3p game of Pandemic, I should be able to click a single button and have the entire game setup performed (shuffles, epidemic card distribution, role selection, 9 infection cards drawn and cubes placed, etc). Having to do all this manually is THE reason Vassal is the domain of die-hard gamers. I play ASL over Vassal, and I still couldn't figure out how to setup Pandemic even following the detailed instructions given.

The module won't do what the designer didn't program it to do. Don't blame Vassal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
ekted wrote:

The module won't do what the designer didn't program it to do. Don't blame Vassal.

I don't blame Vassal for the Pandemic functionality. I just think Vassal (and many other online gaming systems) would be more popular if it was easier to use them. Of course, that is not specifically Vassal's fault either, since it's possible to do almost anything. But Vassal's system does "make it easy" to make modules that are a lot of work to play. There are a ton of good games implemented on Vassal, yet players flock to the UI-challenged BSW. Ease of play is under-appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I don't blame Vassal for the Pandemic functionality.

Quote check please!?

ekted wrote:
This module is well done, but it's a great example of how lacking Vassal is in basic control of games.

Sounds like you were blaming Vassal there previously to me soblue

Points for redemption clarification after, but I'll disagree with your popularity assertion as there is no empirical proof to support the claim you make nor do you provide any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travillaintim wrote:
...but I'll disagree with your popularity assertion as there is no empirical proof to support the claim you make nor do you provide any.

Whenever I look at the numbers, BSW alone is an order of magnitude higher than Vassal (eg 1000 compared to 100). Of course, these are only the logged in numbers. I have no knowledge of the number of people using Vassal in PBEM mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.