Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm not really a fan of Power Grid, but tonight's game, I have to admit, was excellent.

We had five players, one of them new. Being bored to tears of Germany and the US, we decided on Italy. We blacked out the Easternmost region at the brim of the boot.

With the more costly hydrocarbons, I found I had no opening strategy besides the 4-coal plant. After some other players dinked around a while, I ended up with it as usual. I took the central city in the north, it might have been Bologna. Three other players took up position around me. The fifth player set up shop way down south of Rome.

Players expanded cautiously. Somehow I ended up with a 2-oil for 5-power plant way before it was time - I had something like 3 cities.

By the end of stage 1 I was hemmed in with 5 cities. No matter, it was only a turn of lost building.

In stage 2 I set my sights on a power-6 or power-7 plant for the endgame, but one never showed up. I had the 5-oil, and a 2-windmill and 3-garbageo. One turn with a 5-fission plant available, and a level-35 6 about to come down, I got greedy and let another player grab the 5. That cost me the game, as of course there was only a 30% chance (at best) of the 6 coming down, as of course it didn't.

Thus, I was the first player to put myself out of the running for the victory.

The newbie was the second. In Age II he'd bid $105 for a 6-garbage (in a vicious bidding war with me), and that'd done alright for him, since garbage was costing only $1. But in Stage III, he again went nuts and bought a 7-garbage for $115 (again versus me), which left him without even the pennies to fuel his hard won plant. Ah, newbies. He'd end the game with 17 power but only 10 cities.

R, who had more correctly handicapped the 5-fission I should have bid up, won the game with 16 powered cities. B also had quietely powered 16. D and myself fought for third with 15 cities and too much leftover money. (D: Which of us took third? I had about $35 left at the end).

Overall, this was the most competently executed Power Grid game in quite some time. (On the US map, my usual group is so bad that I often break away at the dawn of Stage II, and even with them drafting me all the rest of the game, they still can't catch up - they really, really undervalue the 4-coal). This game was much, much tighter, which made it more enjoyable. A three way battle for first really kept the hand-wringing maximized.

Why can't all games of Power Grid be this good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This really was one of the best games of powergrid I have ever played. I was all by myself in the south of italy and grabbed the 2 southern provinces almost completely uncontested. I lost because I couldn't generate enough power for the win. I jumped out in front of everyone else on purpose to get us to stage 2 and again on what turned out to be the last turn of the game where I initiated stage 3. I had hoped to grab a better plant and keep on building and moving forward but both times the plant selection forced me to stall and not build additional cities allowing everyone else to catch up. nothing hurts more than seeing the plant you so desparatly want not coming down because a lousy lower number plant gets drawn instead. I felt like that was my plight all game long. So instead of leaping out in front and staying there since I had no obstruction to expansion I stalled hard. In the end I had 2 chances to get a plant that would have powered 7 cites that would have allowed me to win, unfortunelty The cost for then was so high (both over 100) I wasn't going to have enough money to buy resources and build the final 2-3 cities I would have needed for the win. As it was I guess ended coming in third (I had at least 50+ cash at the end of the game)

What made the game so good is that we were all right in it till the end. It came down to the final plant draws and bidding. I think if I had gotten lucky and another 7 plant had been drawn I would have been able to buy it cheap and would have had the funds to build to 17 cities for the win. As it was I just came up short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Congrats on third.
I end up in fourth. gulp
"I coulda been uh contenda."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Akin
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't realized it had been over a year since I've played. This is one of my favorite games and it quite refreshing to play a different map! A great game as always.

It was close at the top with two of us powering 16 and two powering 15. I powered 16 plants with $12 left over.

I started out in far Northeast with two cities even though I could only power one(I did say it was a year since I last played right? shake ).

I remember being in a bidding war in the middle of the game with M__ and lost out. My last bid was around $85 for a nice 1 trash plant that powered 6 cities. It didn't seem like that bad of a deal since I was paying ~$30 for supplies at the time and trash was going for $1.

My turn order average out to 2nd to 3rd, which made my cost up slightly.

The 2nd to last round I was stuck. I had 11 cities and power for 13. I chose not to build since the closest city I could build into was several cities away(I'll say ~5, however I didn't count it). If Dave H hadn't trigger stage 3, that was it for me. In the final round, I bought a 1 nuke plant (6 power) for a reasonable $40 and had enough money to build into 5 more cities to end with 16 at the end. My other two plants at the end were: 2 hybrid coal/oil plant(4) and a 3 coal plant(6).

I hope it doesn't take another year to get this on the table for me again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.