Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Every once in a while a game comes along that is just plain fun to play. You don't take it so seriously and laugh at each other, heck even try to help each other during the game. Basically the premise isn't to win, but to enjoy.

Galaxy Trucker fits that bill perfectly.

I think there are a two ways you can take this game:

1) Way too seriously: you missed the point.
2) Just for fun: you get the idea.

This all being said, on with the review.

Theme:

The theme of the game is a exciting one... deliver goods after completing a journery, in space!

The implementation of the theme is excellently done: after building your ship from scratch, you get to go onto your journey facing various perils along the way.

If you haven't given it a read yet. Read the rulebook, not only will it help you in figuring out the game. But it is one of the best reads of any rulebook out there. Very funny, very well done.

Basically you work for Corporation Incorporated, who has their best interest out for you. While you are essentially a delivery person, you have to face smugglers, pirates, and each other along the journey.

All the while facing meteors and other fun events.

Basically if there was ever a theme that was incorporated well into a game, this theme is very nicely done.

Components:

The components of the game are very well done.

I have the German version of the game, so I cannot speak to future implementations of the components.

There are a variety of materials used in the components. There are tiles which are used to buil your ship; plastic people, aliens, and ship markers that are used throughout the game; little green plastic bits that are used to denote batteries; and even wooden cubes that are used as goods.

The little white humans are nicely done. And fun to play with. They are made of sturdy plastic.

The cards used in the game are of nice cards stock while the boards each person has as their ships (and for the center area) are of nice qualtity too.

I know as I write this that you have to understand that the quality of the components in this game are of very high quality. That's one of the reason why its so expensive. The box is a very heavy box, for a reason.

Mechanics:

The mechanics of the game take a bit of getting used to.

So, here's the deal, in order to build the ship all of the tiles for the ships are put in a pile in the middle of the table. Everyone then free-for-alls getting tiles with only using one hand.

I will not get into the placements of tiles on your board but overall because of the timer that comes with the game, it goes a lot quicker then you expect.

After everyone is done building the ship, there is a quick inspection to make sure everyone's ship is kosher. Then the flight.

Throughout the building of the ship lies four piles of variously numbered cards (based on the rounds). These are the flight decks. On each of the cards is and event that will test the stability of the ship.

The cards will effect your ship in various ways. If a meteor is coming towards you, you roll dice and see where it may or may not hit.

While the mechanics might seem somewhat random, that's okay. It can be fun to watch a poorly built ship fall to bits.

Gamplay:

The gameplay is what you make of it.

While building your ship everyone is grabbing at the pile of loose tiles for the best components. Sometimes this can be a frenzy and other times you can help people out.

The flights taken during the game are random, all jokes aside, this may be a deal breaker for some. There are various things that happen during the flight that are almost too random... but that's what I like about the game, it fits the theme rather well.

One thing you can do during the building phase is that you may look at pile (except one) to help prepare for the journey. This tactic can prove very useful beacause it allows you to know what's coming. It can backfire in two ways:

1) It takes time away from building of the ship.
2) All three piles you can look at get shuffled with a fourth pile you are not able to see... so there will still be a surprise or two, which can be half the fun.

Overall:

I like this game.

This game is a fun ride through the galaxy. It tests your puzzle-making abilities all the while your patience.

I can, though, understand why some wouldn't like it. If you are prone to AP, you will not like this game: it moves too quickly.

This all being said. Read the rulebook, it is a hilarious read.

And enjoy your ride.

Final Rating: 8/10

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd not believe it but the batteries are made of real GLASS! You know, that material people used to make windows from back in 21st century. I know, I didn't believe it either but our lab made some tests and confirmed it. I mean, what are the odds?

Anyway, I'm glad the game cheered you up. It fulfilled it's purpouse than
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! I can't believe I overlooked this game; judging from your review and the rulebook (I'm halfway... still reading) it's a lot of fun, and high on my wishlist now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take all games "way too seriously", and even I enjoyed it. Definitely a hidden treasure; a game I would very much enjoy at either the beginning or the end of the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Officially moved to my want list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James DeRosa
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

While playing this game, one movie image came to mind as my ship fell apart around me (with a little help from meteors, pirates, etc.)

"Stay on target........stay on target.........AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Lotsa fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.