Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And why?

Just a quick poll. I've found it to be pretty good overall but it tends to get a little sketchy on more obscure topics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Lamontagne
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I trust Wikipedia a little, but I double-check most infos, especially if it is for work.

It's good for general guidelines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally trust it, but I also generally read the discussion pages of whatever article I'm relying on to get a sense of what the controversies are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikipedia is great for a general overview. Would I cite it? No, not so much. But I consider it authoritative enough to bring up something I read there in conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy using it for things that are general information, but too obscure to be found in a standard encyclopedia, like pop culture, specific history, and the like. I trust it a great deal. People point out it can be biased, but so are many standard encyclopedia articles. Any written work contains the bias of the author and encyclopedia editors can affect the tone of their articles a great deal. I think as long as you stay away from the more controversial topics, Wikipedia is an amazing resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Implicitly.

I trust it more than most other sources.

It's not infallible, but given that it's usually vetted by numerous individuals who have interest in the subject at hand, it's unusually accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I trust it on issues of pop culture. I find that it's a useful jumping off point for history and biography, as it provides many links, and I don't doubt that the group of dedicated editors has several amateur and professional historians in its ranks. Those folks never miss a chance to add a detail. It's obviously less useful for more current events, where the "official version" is still under debate. Pretty good for geography, zoology and botany questions.

I guess, in short, it depends on what you are trying to get out of it. I do think that it's a huge lazy copout to dismiss someone's entire argument because they reference Wikipedia for one of the supporting facts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it kind of depends on the article. Overall, I think I trust it, though I wouldn't use it in a situation where exact accuracy is important. However, especially for articles that have adequate citations and outside links to source material, I think it can be taken usually at face value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikipedia says that Wikipedia is pretty reliable, so if that article is reliable, then overall it must be pretty reliable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For strict biographical/statistical questions that don't involve POV issues, I trust it to a large degree, especially if the article is well sourced. It's great for general overviews on lots of topics that I'm interested in like what happened at the Battle of Some-such-place or Who the heck was Lord Whatever-His-Name-Is. Anything having to do with politics or in the least controversial I take with the proverbial grain of salt.

I used it just last week for some information on the weapon loadouts and torpedo dimensions of the Seawolf and Gato class submarines for a discussion we were having over in the Silent War forums. The data was good and in a readily available venue. I wouldn't be quite so quick to use Wikipedia as a source on unrestriced submarine warfare though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I trust it a lot for geography and any math/physics. For history, particularly battles, Wikipedia can provide a very useful overview and detail you in on a lot of specifics.

It's also great for mythology, I've found, since I can read about one guy, who was related to someone else *click* who was from Media *click* etc etc etc. It helps tie things together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I trust a Wikipedia entry about as much as I trust the citations referenced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Its like a talk among some guys at a bar.

Some of it is crap, but one of those guys might actually be in the business he is talking about.

Its good to get ideas and quick info, but not really ... defining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
As a solipsist, I trust wikipedia as much as I trust anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over time I've realized that very little information I process from the net has any financial bearing on my life, so unless the information is relevant to professional development or business interests I don't see any real need in second guessing what I come across. Wikipedia pretty much completely falls into the trusting zone as it isn't asking anything of me.

For any important life decisions you should be getting information from multiple sources regardless of the integrity of any one source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can print wikipedia on my printer, right?

No brainer then, of course I trust it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I use wikipedia quite often. I generally trust it. I'm very glad it exists.

I find it funny that many people criticize wikipedia but have no problem reading and believing the stray web page which has no regulating function found in wikipedia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.