Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Downloadable board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Porter
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is to some extent a shill for my new product (Black Death v1.01), but I am also genuinely curious and this is the place to ask:

How many download-and-assemble-it-yourself boardgames are out there? And have any been as ambitious about it as the new edition of Black Death?

Greg Porter
BTRC games
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Tyler
United Kingdom
Port Isaac
Cornwall
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We have one here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12622

There is a printed version and the same thing to print-n-play at home for a fraction of the price!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the downloadable version of Hour of Glory: Stronghold Kit, which is a pretty ambitious affair. It is, however, also available in a standard boxed format.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh snap, as I'm posting about Hour of Glory, Gav Tyler himself swoops in to beat me to the punch!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a few. Including my 4 titles from www.pyromythgames.com (Shameless Plug!) there are 320 in the board and card games listings at www.RPGNOW.com. That’s just one site and there are many good free games as well.

Your art is very high end for PnP, Is that what you mean by ambitious?

Good luck to you & it’s only a shill if your intent is to mislead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this description from the PDF...

What is this anyway?
Black Death is a tasteless boardgame in which you can play the exciting role of a scourge of nature and slayer of millions in those halcyon days of the mid-14th century. Yes, you too can be The Plague, and wipe out a third of the known world's population.

That's sick!
You're right. But it's also a lot of fun, educational, historical and a reasonably good simulation as well. So go ahead and play it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is one publisher doing something similiar: SeaRovers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Porter
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Your art is very high end for PnP, Is that what you mean by ambitious?


Mostly. I'm looking for downloadable boardgames that when assembled, rival a conventional boxed game in component quality.

And yep, RPGnow has a ton of games (I sell most of mine there), but this is the highest production quality I've ever attempted in this format.

If Hour of Glory is a download (only 3 megabytes!) and matches its pics at WargameDownloads, then that is the sort of thing I'm looking for as a comparison. Does anyone know what the assembly instruction are like for the download version?

Greg Porter
BTRC
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gavtyler wrote:
We have one here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12622

There is a printed version and the same thing to print-n-play at home for a fraction of the price!


I just got my copy of the Hour of Glory: Stronghold Kit PDF. It it a lovely bit of work cant wait to make it up!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game-It-Yourself website has the most extensive list of free print-and-play games I'm aware of. They vary in "ambitiousness".

Game-It-Yourself: http://www.runestoneit.com/~dseagraves/

Shameless plug: There are almost 100 print-and-play games on our website http://www.invisible-city.com/play/.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
invisiblejon wrote:
Shameless plug: There are almost 100 print-and-play games on our website http://www.invisible-city.com/play/.


It seems difficult to browse the games, there doesn't appear to be any way, aside from clicking next, viewing them in reverse order that they were added to the website.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
It seems difficult to browse the games, there doesn't appear to be any way, aside from clicking next, viewing them in reverse order that they were added to the website.


In the upper-right corner of http://www.invisible-city.com/play/ there's an "<< older" link. Clicking that will navigate to a page that shows you the 12 previous months' games.

You're right. Site navigation isn't obvious. I've been meaning to change that. It's subtle. Perhaps *too* subtle. Unfortunately, I'm not a total Textpattern ninja (like my wife), so my ability to change how the site looks is limited. Still, I appreciate the feedback, and we're working on it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
invisiblejon wrote:
spearjr wrote:
It seems difficult to browse the games, there doesn't appear to be any way, aside from clicking next, viewing them in reverse order that they were added to the website.


In the upper-right corner of http://www.invisible-city.com/play/ there's an "<< older" link. Clicking that will navigate to a page that shows you the 12 previous months' games.

You're right. Site navigation isn't obvious. I've been meaning to change that. It's subtle. Perhaps *too* subtle. Unfortunately, I'm not a total Textpattern ninja (like my wife), so my ability to change how the site looks is limited. Still, I appreciate the feedback, and we're working on it.


Sorry, I meant that <<Older link, rather than next. Either way, a page that had links to all the games on the site would be very helpful. (Easy way to create this, make a new blog post with all the links, then add another button to the menu, and update that particular page/post when you post another game.)

I'm a big fan of wiki's, like the piecepack and the icehouse ones, but I understand if that isn't the look you're going for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.