Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Kimball
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was highly anticipating my first play of the legendary #1 game on BGG! A friend of mine raved about how great it was, how balanced the gameplay was, and how the luck factor is virtually non-existent except for the other players making choices. Of course that caught my interest and we got a group of 5 together for Friday night. I even convinced my non-gamer wife to come (by non-gamer I mean she doesn't get on the GEEK and read reviews like me, but she's a ruthless gamer and is more competitive than I am). Sadly, I had a horrible experience--one of the most frustrating gaming experiences I've ever had. Although I don't understand every facet of the game after one play, I'll try to explain what happened.

After the brief intro of how the game works, the different products to harvest, the various buildings and their respective functions, and how victory points work, we dove straight into the game. I remembered that my friend had explained that “coffee is worth the most money” and as I was the last to settle and no one had dared to pick up a coffee tile, I grabbed it to my advantage...or so I thought. I then proceeded to save up for a coffee roaster, knowing that I'd need some cash to purchase some buildings. While I was doing that, the player on my right (my friend that owned the game) had already purchased a coffee roaster, had 2 fields in production, and traded his coffee barrel coffee for even more doubloons...it was at this time that I turned to him and asked “Why am I behind you? I've got 2 coffee fields and a sugar field, but you've got more workers, money, buildings, and product to harvest!” It was then that I understood that it's not a good idea to pursue the same products that the player on your right is.

I soon realized that that was not the only “I'm new at this game and didn't know any better” mistake I had made. While I was busy going for coffee, thinking it would give me the “most money” (that was before I understood how Trading works), I was very limited on funds and ended up choosing prospector on several occasions, just for the cash...which ended up leaving me behind in worker count, choice of plantations, resource production, and loading the ship. This was all a vicious cycle that culminated when I FINALLY had a few coffee of coffee ready to get exported...but my friend seated on my right, the only other player that had coffee, put the barrels he had just refined onto the ship, filling it up...and leaving me with a few coffee, no ship to put them on, no trade available, and basically I didn't know what to do from there.

Now, I like to think that I'm a pleasant gamer--that is, when things look grim or it's obvious I'm going to lose, I don't get mean or start swearing, but I usually do get quiet. From then on my wife and friend kept trying to encourage me and cater to me as if I were "throwing a fit" by being quiet...I guess they thought I was mad or bitter at them for being the two in the lead. Honestly, I sat there quietly analyzing the board, the remaining buildings, and my possibilities I had to score any more VPs....because I was at a loss of what to do at that point. I realize that in order for someone to win, others have to lose. My only problem was that at that point I had NO FRIGGIN IDEA why I was already completely out of the running for victory. I thought my strategy was viable, I had spent my cash wisely to accomplish that goal, and now that it was established that there was no way I could win...what should I do next? Absolutely nothing...I had been pwned...like a n00b. (I ended up trying to help my friend by grabbing ships and sticking my coffee and sugar on them so that my wife couldn't stick her corn and indigo on the ship, hopefully preventing her from winning.......yeah, it didn't work shake )

I can see why the game's #1 and why so many other gamers get so excited about it. The game itself is beautiful and it was fascinating to watch how the game mechanics all worked together so smoothly, like how the other 4 players competed for indigo, corn, and tobacco and how the costs, unique building functions (the University really looks interesting), and VPs are distributed. It truly is a well-designed strategic masterpiece, but I feel disappointed that such a promising game left a really bad taste in my mouth. I don't know that I'll be anxious to ever try it again, but if I do, I now know (at least in 5-player games) to:
d10-1 Choose different resources to collect than the player at my immediate right.
d10-2 Don't go for coffee just because you can trade it for 4 doubloons...it's worth just as much as corn as far as victory points are concerned and corn doesn't need a building to process it.
d10-3 Use some of the smaller, cheaper resources and plants to get your feet on the ground--THEN you can start going for the bigger tobacco and coffee resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Poned like a Nube!
Acoriano3 wrote:
Absolutely nothing...I had been poned...like a nube...

It truly is a well-designed strategic masterpiece, but I feel disappointed that such a promising game left a really bad taste in my mouth. I don't know that I'll be anxious to ever try it again

Come on! You are obviously gamer of distinction. Are you just gonna let someone pone you like that? I say bone up, go back, and kick someone's a**!

...or at least don't get poned again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't it be 'pwned like a n00b'?

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
Shouldn't it be 'pwned like a n00b'?

Geoff

No man. This is the Geek. We just speak that way, we don't type that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Kimball
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew it had some whacked spelling...I tried searching for it and all I came up with was:
http://www.threadless.com/profile/520913/FairyQueen/slogans
(center of the page)...so I stuck with it.

AFTER you pointed out the errors of my ways, I looked again and found this:
http://www.brainready.com/_Media/brainready018.pdf
(middle of the 1st page under "Some GEEK SLANG")

VERDICT: Pwned like a n00b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Acoriano3 wrote:
unique building functions (the University really looks interesting)

A good opinion. You may find yourself alone in it, however.

Acoriano3 wrote:
d10-1 Choose different resources to collect than the player at my immediate right.

You may want to for a few more games, but buildings like the Office and the Wharf will help you get around this problem if it persists.

Acoriano3 wrote:
d10-2 Don't go for coffee just because you can trade it for 4 doubloons...it's worth just as much as corn as far as victory points are concerned and corn doesn't need a building to process it.

Yes, it ships for the same VP as corn, but its selling power is just as powerful. One can look at Puerto Rico has distinctively having a shipping strategy and a building strategy. Both can lead to a wealth of points, and both can lead to end game conditions. So, coffee good, but not always good if you are counting on shipping it all of the time. Remember, you never want more than two coffee plantations, so you shouldn't be drowning in it.

Acoriano3 wrote:
d10-3 Use some of the smaller, cheaper resources and plants to get your feet on the ground--THEN you can start going for the bigger tobacco and coffee resources.

This is why you begin with an indigo or corn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acoriano3 wrote:
AFTER you pointed out the errors of my ways, I looked again and found this:
http://www.brainready.com/_Media/brainready018.pdf
(middle of the 1st page under "Some GEEK SLANG")

VERDICT: Pwned like a n00b

Boo. I rather liked the error of your ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Kimball
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
A good opinion. You may find yourself alone in it, however.

Being my first play, I have no doubt that several of the opinions I formed are not shared by more than myself. In this particular game one of the players was able to get the University early enough to still build and not have to worry about grabbing the Mayor role for workers.

logopolys wrote:
You may want to for a few more games, but buildings like the Office and the Wharf will help you get around this problem if it persists.

I was, in fact, eying both of those, but unfortunately my first priority of being able to generate resources was accomplished so late that both Offices had already been purchased and the Wharf was too expensive as I couldn't trade in my coffee and I most certainly didn't have enough foresight or game knowledge to realize that its function of providing my own, personal ship would have alleviated any shipping woes. I instead spent my money on the large building that gives VP for the # of occupied field spaces...whose name escapes me at the moment.

logopolys wrote:
Yes, it ships for the same VP as corn, but its selling power is just as powerful. One can look at Puerto Rico has distinctively having a shipping strategy and a building strategy. Both can lead to a wealth of points, and both can lead to end game conditions. So, coffee good, but not always good if you are counting on shipping it all of the time. Remember, you never want more than two coffee plantations, so you shouldn't be drowning in it.

Selling power is only good if my right-hand player doesn't also have my same resource and come before me in the order every time EXCEPT when I'm Governor. He was always able to stick his coffee barrel onto the trade tile before I even had a chance...and since the only other resource I had was sugar, I needed to be shipping both all of the time to recover the VP deficit I had already accrued.

logopolys wrote:
This is why you begin with an indigo or corn.

Thank you for reiterating the point I was trying to make--something that was not apparent to me from a newcomers perspective, but that makes perfect sense now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you are more comfortable with the rule, and how different role interact.. you'll feel much better about the experience.

Even if player before you have the same resources you can do several thing to avoid the total loss.. like having the office, or let that person to take craft.. so that you are free to either trade or ship. Get small warehouse so that you can double craft or even double trade etc.. while you watch all the other people just waste so much of their resources is quite fun.

Anyway, taking mayor or craftsman isn't all that beneficial unless there is so much money on it or there is clear major advantage for some reason.

Have fun!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Olney
Australia
flag msg tools
I had my first game of Puerto Rico last month and managed to just win with coffee. My strategy was to get the cashflow from coffee (plus small market plus large market) to buy things to build up my ability to get victory points, such as buildings. Is Puerto Rico like a lot of other victory point games where-in it is useful to build up capital to enable you to get lots of victory points later on; as opposed to getting easy victory points earlier on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.