Subject: campaigns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've now played Italia I three times and I'm not sure the addition of the campaign submechanism is a Good Thing. It adds considerable complexity, with lots of opportunities for mistakes and misinterpretations as well as analysis paralysis. On the plus side, it is highly interactive and allows concentrated action for a short period of time to be accurately portrayed in the bigger framework.

I'm trying to figure out whether the campaign mechanism could have been used in Brittannia. Possibly for the Roman invasion (reducing it to one or two turns) and 1066.

Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the campaign rules a good thing although I am not sure we played it right. Can any nation use this rule to launch a campaign voluntarily by paying 1 gold? Or is it only allowable to specific nations who have major campaign in their nation cards e.g. Hannibal (Carthage) and Phyrrus (Epiroates)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign rules won't work for Britannia for one simple reason - there's no treasury. In Italia, you're purchasing units with money, and that allows you to bank gold if you choose to do so. In Britannia, you're growing population organically by holding areas and breeding. So you can't amass a treasury to fund a campaign in the way Italia does.

I haven't had a chance to play Italia as yet, but it strikes me as more appropriate for this game than for Britannia. Britannia is about taking land for the purposes of settling and establishing lasting control for a people to settle in. Italia is more about the struggle of different nations to achieve military dominance over a larger geographic region. The campaign mechanism is a very interesting way to simulate this while making a player make interesting choices (do I buy units now, or save cash to extend my campaign to the maximum?).

I don't see the campaign mechanism working in Britannia as a result. The major invasions are more than enough to capture the ebb and flow of the invading nations, and create a simple system for new forces in population growth.

Where the campaign "concerns" me in Italia is precisely what you pointed to - that it will be more complex and prone to mistakes. But given the greater military emphasis of the game, it could be an excellent addition. I'm looking forward to my first chance to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Can any nation use this rule to launch a campaign voluntarily by paying 1 gold? Or is it only allowable to specific nations who have major campaign in their nation cards e.g. Hannibal (Carthage) and Phyrrus (Epiroates)?

Only nations listed as having campaigns have campaigns. And those nations only have the specific campaigns listed. There is no generic 'pay to launch a campaign' action.

The campaigns simulate things which wouldn't work using a Major invasion. Brittannia manages just fine with Major Invasions, so there is no need for a campaign. For example, the Romans took quite a long time (a century or so) to get to Scotland, it would be inappropriate to have them arrive there by campaign.

The important thing to realise about campaigns is that you can sack a city for 4 gold during a campaign and use the gold to finance more campaigning. By this means your campaigns can go a long way. Of course, this is another reason not to have campaigns in Brittannia- Britain was a much less urbanised area than Italy at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Helin
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jurdj wrote:
I've now played Italia I three times and I'm not sure the addition of the campaign submechanism is a Good Thing. It adds considerable complexity, with lots of opportunities for mistakes and misinterpretations as well as analysis paralysis.

Actually, I'd say that this is probably finest and most smooth flowing feature of the game. It seems quite intuitive and it feels correct enough in historical terms.

Of course successful campaign may change the face of the map entirely for a moment but that is one of the great things. Empires rise and fall. If game turn is assumed to be something along lines of 25 - 30 years each, a lot can and will happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.