Amy
United States
Saint Charles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, what game are Jonathan, Andrew, and Warren playing when they decide to become supervillains?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I would almost swear they were using D+D maps and cardboard figures, but playing it like it was a boardgame. (Director to flunky: "Go get me a boardgame that looks suitably nerdy for this scene". CLueless flunky at hobby shop: "Bingo!")

I never saw the episode, so it's just a wild guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like one of the various iterations of Dungeons & Dragons judging by the fold-out generic dungeon map, d20, and monster minis. In fact, if you look closely in the second picture, bottom right, you'll see the 3rd ed logo for Dungeons & Dragons on the orange box next to the funny lookin' dude.

It looks like it's still in cellophane. Weird.

I'm going to go with http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/18212

Looks like the right box, map, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its Dungeons and Dragons. A map like that comes in the 3.x DM books. And you can see the D&D logo on the side of the box sitting in front of Warren.

Andrew also has them playing in Season 7...poor Giles, reduced to playing D&D with a bunch of kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Saint Charles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sobriquet wrote:
It looks like it's still in cellophane. Weird.

I thought the same thing!

berserkley wrote:
I would almost swear they were using D+D maps and cardboard figures, but playing it like it was a boardgame. (Director to flunky: "Go get me a boardgame that looks suitably nerdy for this scene". CLueless flunky at hobby shop: "Bingo!")

Bwaha!

And thanks guys. Awesome id skills.

I almost feel like I'm not nerdy enough, not being able to identify D&D (never played it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of Buffy: In an episode near the end of Season 3, there was a scene with Willow in Oz's room. I swear I saw BGG in the background on a computer. Did BGG exist in 1999?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a bonus, in one of those board game scenes, they mention Trogdor the Burninator, from the Homestar Runner cartoons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Speaking of Buffy: In an episode near the end of Season 3, there was a scene with Willow in Oz's room. I swear I saw BGG in the background on a computer. Did BGG exist in 1999?

I think that was an optical delusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donkeystyle wrote:
As a bonus, in one of those board game scenes, they mention Trogdor the Burninator, from the Homestar Runner cartoons.

That was actually in season seven...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

That was in Graduation Day, part 1. It's not BGG. Looks like a new site of some sort, but I couldn't make out any details when I checked the DVD a moment ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears to be the Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 beginners boxed set. You can see it to the right in the second picture. There is a bowl of food on it. What I want to know is, where is the bottle of Mountain Dew? There has to be one there somewhere!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, Amy, you're more than geeky. You are a fan of Buffy -- 'nuff said. I, despite owning thousands of dollars of roleplaying merchandise, manage to be less geeky due to a lack of Buffy appreciation.

Nyah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Saint Charles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sobriquet wrote:
Oh no, Amy, you're more than geeky. You are a fan of Buffy -- 'nuff said. I, despite owning thousands of dollars of roleplaying merchandise, manage to be less geeky due to a lack of Buffy appreciation.

Nyah!

Quote:
[02:20am] Aerynn: which is geekier? a buffy obsession or a dnd obsession?
[02:20am] Nailrabbit: Buffy.
[02:20am] Nailrabbit: D&D is nerdier.
[02:20am] Nailrabbit: <.<
[02:20am] asdf5: Buffy, simply cause she's hawter
[02:21am] Obscurity: D&D is geekier.

I think the general consensus is D&D is geekier while Buffy is "hawter." (I'm Aerynn in that exchange.)

Of course, I utterly lose by asking the question on IRC. IRC for a mud. O the depths I've sunk to.

Does it help that I asked after a drunken evening playing Lost Cities and Last Days of Pompeii?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Of course, I utterly lose by asking the question on IRC. IRC for a mud. O the depths I've sunk to.
I think mud creds are way geekier than buffy, D&D, or board gaming! Especially in this day and age. This ain't 1995!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Saint Charles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But...I asked the mud people because I knew they'd be familiar with both Buffy and D&D!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luminous wrote:
But...I asked the mud people because I knew they'd be familiar with both Buffy and D&D!

Mud people are the source of all knowledge.

Bit like librarians, really. They even have the tendency to go 'Ook' from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn. I've been on the internet since it was called DARPANET, and you got to it from a DEC PDP-11, and I still had to google MUD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to run D&D on IRC. I wonder how nerdy that makes me...

So you were a military guy back in the late 60s early 70s, Darrell? DARPANET is old school. Though I daresay nobody was using it for MUDing back then, so you're forgiven for having to use Google.

But oh! the catching up you have to do. I mean, you're a Buffy fan, likely a D&D nerd, you need to complete the triumvirate of nerdgeekdork and do some MUDing on the IRC. Ya!

Life wouldn't be complete otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sobriquet wrote:
I used to run D&D on IRC. I wonder how nerdy that makes me...

So you were a military guy back in the late 60s early 70s, Darrell? DARPANET is old school. Though I daresay nobody was using it for MUDing back then, so you're forgiven for having to use Google.

But oh! the catching up you have to do. I mean, you're a Buffy fan, likely a D&D nerd, you need to complete the triumvirate of nerdgeekdork and do some MUDing on the IRC. Ya!

Life wouldn't be complete otherwise.

Seventies, yes. I was programming on Honeywell and Burroughs mainframes in the Air Force, but had friends on the VAX systems, and they would drag me over there and show how they could follow meteorlogical data more-or-less realtime. (And nobody knew an "Al Gore", either.) It was hot shit, back then.

No, I was never an RPGer. Well, okay, I sniffed a couple of lines of Traveller once, but that's IT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.