Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karington Hess
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why in the world start in Atlanta?? Is there some reason? Can I change it? Or make it random? I personally may change it to "Start in Chicago" (Chicago is closer to where I live). But my question is this: What is the logic behind making the starting city Atlanta?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the Center for Disease Control, which is the hub of disease containment efforts at least in the U.S., and possibly for the entire world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always surprised me there's only one major disease research/operations center in the world. I'd think in this day and age there'd by a small network of centers just as effective and just as cutting edge as the CDC in Atlanta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AB
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mojo shivers wrote:
It's always surprised me there's only one major disease research/operations center in the world. I'd think in this day and age there'd by a small network of centers just as effective and just as cutting edge as the CDC in Atlanta.

The CDC in Atlanta is the headquarters of a network of research facilities across the US (and in the rest of the world) it is not one centre really. In the world there are numerous research centres for disease, they are not as well known or as well equipped as the CDC ones but then with an annual budget of nearly $10 billion or something like that its not suprising that the CDC is pretty prestigious among them.

AB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
mojo shivers wrote:

And all of these centres should have their own runway.

That way they could fly directly from one centre to any other centre round the World at the cost of only one action point.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They should just start franchising that sucker... maybe get some tips from the McDonald's Corporation.

McCDC's could be the next big investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From a balance and gameplay perspective, where you start makes little difference.
Starting somewhere like Santiago since your pawns and your research station will be all tucked into a corner... might be a bit tougher, but there's plenty of fine alternatives if you don't feel like starting in Atlanta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you pick before you see where the initial infection is, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mojo shivers wrote:
They should just start franchising that sucker... maybe get some tips from the McDonald's Corporation.

McCDC's could be the next big investment.

I for one am happy if they remain small and in few locations. Less securtiy risks. Let's hope they never take after McD's!

"Would you like Tuberculosis with your order?"
"Aaah, no. Just the Bubonic Plague, please."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AB
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They do try to keep the really bad stuff in as few places as possible now to help with security.

For example in 1978 (this is after the eradication of smallpox in ~1972), it was decided that all known stocks of smallpox should be destroyed or transferred to just one of the two WHO reference laboratories: the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, US and the State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology VECTOR in Koltsovo, Russia (where apparently an entire regiment of troops guard it).

AB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc_Adam wrote:

For example in 1978 (this is after the eradication of smallpox in ~1972), it was decided that all known stocks of smallpox should be destroyed or transferred to just one of the two WHO reference laboratories:

The last known naturally occurring incidence of smallpox was in 1977, and it was still widespread in parts of Africa in 1975. The last known infection was in '78, when a sample got loose in a lab in Britain. That accident prompted the safety measures described. Interestingly enough, there was a scare a couple of years ago when smallpox scabs were discovered in a Civil War-era medical reference book; but no one became infected. The CDC shut down the library, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mojo shivers wrote:

SuperFlu me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would mean a whole new documentary would have to be made about a hypochondriac who goes to the local McCDC for thirty days straight until he catches an actual incurable disease.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
mojo shivers wrote:

SuperFlu me!

So, you want to talk to Skippy?

:-P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Welcome to McCDC."

"Hi. I'd like your double-pox special, please."

"You want flies with that?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.