Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of building over a Coal Mine or Iron Works, you already have the presence of the industry.

Question: Can you use any card to perform the build over action or must one use a Coal Mine for a Coal Mine and a Iron Works for an Iron Works (presumably a proper location card would work...).

This came up in a game near the end - my claiming that I only needed to play a card (small 'c') - but I yielded to the group who demanded play of the corresponding industry card. Rule book was not specific on this point as far as I could find.

It was only going to be a 1 point difference in outcome. Scores were 122, two of us at 117 (including me) and one at 115!

It is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I would think that the building restrictions are maintained. If you don't have the "resources" to build the industry, then you can't build it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
LHIM wrote:
In the case of building over a Coal Mine or Iron Works, you already have the presence of the industry.

Question: Can you use any card to perform the build over action or must one use a Coal Mine for a Coal Mine and a Iron Works for an Iron Works (presumably a proper location card would work...).

This came up in a game near the end - my claiming that I only needed to play a card (small 'c') - but I yielded to the group who demanded play of the corresponding industry card. Rule book was not specific on this point as far as I could find.

It was only going to be a 1 point difference in outcome. Scores were 122, two of us at 117 (including me) and one at 115!

It is a great game.

When you're building over a tile you are still building an industry, and so are subject to the normal rules for building an industry. Also note that the technology number of the new industry must be greater than that of the tile you are building over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question! Our group has puzzled over this as well owing to the way the rules state that you can "always" build over a building you previously constructed. This use of the word "always" implies (to some) that it means regardless of your cards held.

However, elsewhere in the rules I seem to recall a statement to the effect that any time you are building (as opposed to some other action which any card will let you perform), you must use either an appropriate location or industry card. The advantage of "building over" is that you don't need to worry about being "connected" when using an industry card - but it still has to be the appropriate industry card to be able to use it...

The sole exception to this card/building requirement is when "combining actions" to allow you to build anywhere on the board. In that case it does not matter which two cards you use - any two will do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I wasn't the only one with the issue!

For the moment I would take that you need the industry specific card unless/until Mr Wallace weighs in otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LHIM wrote:
For the moment I would take that you need the industry specific card

Or the location card. There's no way you can assume one and not the other.

(Or of course two cards and two actions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
To build over another industry counter you would still need to play a card that matched the industry or a suitable location card. In that sense it is the same as building in an empty space. If you play an industry card it must match the industry type you are building over.

Hope that is clear.

Martin Wallace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.