Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple question: who can identify the gaming significance of the number in the subject heading?

(I don't have any GG to spare; I'm saving up to help my wife get her avatar. With any luck, bragging rights will suffice.)

That number again: 244,432,188,000. As in, Two hundred forty-four billion, four hundred thirty-two million, one hundred eighty-eight thousand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of times Busen Memo has been mentioned on BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
Simple question: who can identify the gaming significance of the number in the subject heading?

(I don't have any GG to spare; I'm saving up to help my wife get her avatar. With any luck, bragging rights will suffice.)

That number again: 244,432,188,000. As in, Two hundred forty-four billion, four hundred thirty-two million, one hundred eighty-eight thousand.

I think that's the number of times Joe Huber has played Race for the Galaxy so far this year.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/295891
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hice
United States
Lake in the Hills
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possible configurations of a Settlers game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't somebody just count all their bits? That number sounds about right IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gibsonc22 wrote:
Possible configurations of a Settlers game.

Dammit, I didn't think anyone would get it that fast!

Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas coe
United States
aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the internet is amazing!!! i found the answer just by googling the number. granted, i didn't answer first...but i was right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THORBOY wrote:
the internet is amazing!!! i found the answer just by googling the number. granted, i didn't answer first...but i was right

[Homer] Stupid Flanders Google [/Homer]

(I forgot to include the harbors.)

Guess I'll have to check my answers to see that they're not online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas coe
United States
aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hahahahh....NEVER FORGET ABOUT THE INTERNET!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, like everything else on the internet, it's wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THORBOY wrote:

Unfortunately, the answer is WRONG, because it does not take into rotational symmetries.

The CORRECT ANSWER is "How many ways can you stack the 19 Settlers land tiles?"

The formaula:
19! / ((4!)^3 * (3!)^2) = 244,432,188,000
is simply the number of permutations that the 19 tiles can be stacked, there are rotational symmetries not accounted for:

But these two set ups are the same--they are just rotated by 60 degrees:

W P
D P W D
P M R F F W
F F P M
W W P W W P
P R R F
F R W M R R
W M M P
M W

(P)asture, (M)ountain, (R)iver, (F)arm, (W)oods, (D)esert

It ALSO doesn't include different positions for the ports and different positions for the numbers--which is just as important in setting a Settlers of Catan Board.

To calculate that, we'll fix the order of tiles with the order and direction of rotation of the numbers as clockwise (I.e. the Top hex will always get number chip A--and the number tiles will be roitated clockwise, skipping the desert) This differentiates the rotational symmetries of the land pieces and sets the total number of land/chip only set ups to the same as original answer: 244,432,188,000.

But there are 9 port tiles, which are setup independently of the land tiles. There are 9 total port tiles: 4 generic 3:1, 5 specific 2:1. The number of permutations is: 9!/4! = 15,120 permutations.

However this is doubled because there are two possible ways to set up the ports: 1 port adjacent the stationary Hex A or 2 ports adjacent to A:

2 2
1 A 1
2 * * 2
1 * * 1
2 * * 2
1 * * 1
2 * 2
1 1

The actual number of Settlers of Catan Boards, therefore, is:
244,432,188,000 * 2 * 15,120 = 7,391,629,365,120,000

POST EDITED TO CORRECT A NUMERICAL ERROR--there are 4 3:1 ports in the 4 player, not Five. Calculation corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
244,432,188,000 * 2 * 3024 = 1,478,325,873,024,000

I have to ask - what about with the 5-6 player expansion?
The board is no longer rotationally symetrical in the same way; there are 2 deserts, to upset the way the number tiles are positioned; and there are 2 sheep ports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
THORBOY wrote:

Unfortunately, the answer is WRONG, because it does not take into rotational symmetries.

The formaula:
is simply the number of permutations that the 19 tiles can be stacked, there are rotational symmetries not accounted for:

Actually, I took the rotational symmetries into account; the thing is:

(1) only the 'reflections' (i.e., placing the chits around the board in the other direction) would result in different-looking boards.

(2) reflections of each other would result in a mirror-image that plays exactly the same way (assuming the dice and cards played out the same way).

I was going for the number of different-playing boards. Yes, I should have been more specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hice
United States
Lake in the Hills
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meng Tan
Australia
Bridgeman Downs
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean that's how many times I have to play Settlers in order to truly master the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
rri1 wrote:
244,432,188,000 * 2 * 3024 = 1,478,325,873,024,000

I have to ask - what about with the 5-6 player expansion? The board is no longer rotationally symetrical in the same way; there are 2 deserts, to upset the way the number tiles are positioned; and there are 2 sheep ports.

The fact of 2 deserts and 2 Sheep Ports, does nothing to affect the handling of rotational symmetry--you only have to account for them when calculating permutations of land and sea tiles. Since the desert ALWAYS forces a skip in the number chip ordering in exactly the same way--adding a second one does not affect the method.

What DOES affect it though is the rules are NOT clear on which corner you start number chip A: There are 3 possibilities all distinct:

2 * * 3
3 * * 2

If A is at position 1, the first three sides you place number tiles has 4 tiles, then 3, then 4. Position 2: 4,4,3. Position 3: 3,4,4.

But whichever one is picked fixes the possible symmetries (There are only 2--180 degrees apart, rather than 6 on the original 4 player board.

Going through the math:
The Permutation of Land Tiles: 30!/(6!^3 * 5!^2 * 2!) = 24,675,735,016,607,875,200
Times the Permutation of Sea Tiles: 11!/(5! * 2!) = 166,320
Times 3 for different possibilities of where to start number chip A.
Times 2 for the different patterns of port tiles

Equals: 24,624,409,487,773,330,819,584,000

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
rri1 wrote:
THORBOY wrote:

The formaula:

Actually, I took the rotational symmetries into account; the thing is:

(1) only the 'reflections' (i.e., placing the chits around the board in the other direction) would result in different-looking boards.

(2) reflections of each other would result in a mirror-image that plays exactly the same way (assuming the dice and cards played out the same way).

I was going for the number of different-playing boards. Yes, I should have been more specific.

You are STILL wrong, because you forgot ports entirely, which produces different playing boards. Having a Mountain port adjacent to a Mountain Hex with a 6 or 8 on it is not the same PLAYING board as having the Mountain port on the other far way from any Mountain hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
You are STILL wrong, because you forgot ports entirely ...

I mentioned as much above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.