Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!!

I found the rule to play Taj Mahal with just 2 player by Knizia using dummy hand.
I'm generally not very fond of using dummy player to make the game playable for less than it is originally designed for.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts, recommendation, other variation of two player rules you recommend? I don't know how the tension of card play would be when third player (dummy one) is just randomly playing the cards.

Thank you
Shingo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Changed the subject line so that my question is more obvious. I wasn't pointing out that there is 2player rule by Knizia for Taj.. which I'm sure many would know already.. but was wondering if anyone tried and their opinon. Thank you Shingo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it once. I found the "dummy" to be way over-powered, making the game more random than with 3-5 humans. If I have the opportunity to play 2p again, I'll probably try a similar system with different rules for which dummy cards count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think we really need a dummy hand? Why not just have straight two player version with two player playing the cards. It'll be easier to win multiple items each turn but then again it is same for the other player. Unless you can track exactly which card the other player has.. I think this would be alright wouldn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 5p game, on average you will place 1 palace per round. In a 2p game, on average you will place 2.5 palaces per round. This difference changes the balance of the game from goods to connectivity. It also means that it's much more difficult to affect the other player. I've found even 3p games not very optimal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I've tried the 2-player varient once, and quite enjoyed it.

Drawing from the deck each round to simulate a 3rd player didn't seem that much more random than a normal 3-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.