Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering how fast the last quiz I posted was solved (under 5 minutes), I'm upping the difficulty.

Simple question: find the gaming significance of the number in the subject heading. (And no, it doesn't involve Busen Memo!)

EDIT: Whoops! My first posting was wrong! What's posted now is correct. My bad.

That number again: 572,679,643,536. As in: Five hundred seventy-two billion, six hundred seventy-nine million, six hundred forty-three thousand, five hundred thirty-six.

Good luck, all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game quiz: 8,246,586,866,918,400
is it the number you get when you do that doubling thing on a chessboard for grains of rice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WalkerRedEye wrote:
is it the number you get when you do that doubling thing on a chessboard for grains of rice?

Good try, but no. That would be 2^64, a number I have not memorized (but do know does not end in zeroes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
WalkerRedEye wrote:

Good try, but no. That would be 2^64, a number I have not memorized (but do know does not end in zeroes).

2^63, but who's counting?

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something to do with energy consumption?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its something that involves Carcassonne and the different layouts thereof.

Mike is a huge Goa fan. I think has to do with possible layouts of tiles.

-DK

Edit: Corrected myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of ways to play Die Macher incorrectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    It's the key sequence to get through Fantasy Flight Game's telephone system into Kevin Wilson's voice mail.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again: I erred the first time I posted this. The number now shown is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
Once again: I erred the first time I posted this. The number now shown is correct.

You're fired.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Coyotek4 wrote:

You're fired.

Sag.

Can we flog him?

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
Coyotek4 wrote:

You're fired.

Sag.

Can we flog him?

-DK

He's in Fairless Hills -- hold him down until I get there. DON'T START WITHOUT ME.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It involves 15 of something...

Amun-Re, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The projected number of Monopoly editions in the year 2018 ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Sagrilarus wrote:
Coyotek4 wrote:
WalkerRedEye wrote:

2^63, but who's counting?

Sag.

Actually, it's (2^64)-1, which might as well be 2^64. It's a 20-digit number in base ten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely Amun-Re, but I only played once, so I can't say what in Amun-re.

OK, there are 15 Province cards. (Got to re-read the rules without a 3-year-old in my lap.) In a five-player game, five province cards are turned over each turn. There are three turns in an age, so 756,756 ways in which the 15 cards can appear in three groups of five. Since there are two ages, square this to get 572,679,643,536.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
DKahnt wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
Coyotek4 wrote:

You're fired.

Sag.

Can we flog him?

-DK

He's in Fairless Hills -- hold him down until I get there. DON'T START WITHOUT ME.

Sag.

Gotcha...

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:
It's definitely Amun-Re, but I only played once, so I can't say what in Amun-re.

OK, there are 15 Province cards. (Got to re-read the rules without a 3-year-old in my lap.) In a five-player game, five province cards are turned over each turn. There are three turns in an age, so 756,756 ways in which the 15 cards can appear in three groups of five. Since there are two ages, square this to get 572,679,643,536.

Well, if this isn't the answer to the original question, it's equally right. In fancier mathy-type words, 572,679,643,536 = ((15 C 10)*(15 C 5))^2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It´s obviously the number of new cardboard pieces in the upcomming Descent expansion, Road to Legend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is somewhat obvious -

It's the number of times a Geek has used the pickup line, "So how about coming back to my place for a drink and a game of "Ticket to Ride",

only to receive the answer, "No".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

Impressive. Guess it's back to the old drawing board.

(In case you're wondering: my first time, I forgot to divide by one of the '5!' factors; that's why my original number has zeroes at the end.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
The answer is somewhat obvious -

It's the number of times a Geek has used the pickup line, "So how about coming back to my place for a drink and a game of "Ticket to Ride",

only to receive the answer, "No".

You're not doing it right!

I got a yes to that (although he was a big sweaty biker). kiss

Gamers can't be choosers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

(In case you're wondering: my first time, I forgot to divide by one of the '5!' factors; that's why my original number has zeroes at the end.)

Mike, you've only got 29 games rated. The fact that the number is a perfect square pointed heavily towards Amun-Re. Yeah, let's see what else you got. (In time I would have found your mistake too; that's my job. Well, part of my job I guess.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
molnar wrote:

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

I was sure it was the number of counters in World in Flames using all expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.