BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » New Zealand

Subject: HOW many board gamers are there in new zealand and where are you? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Earl Leonardo

Philippines
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of immigrating to New Zealand with my wife and would like to know how many people share the same hobbies as we do. Canada is my other choice.
Please add your name and location.
Thanks.

NAME: Location:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well both Canada and NZ have a lot of people who game but it all depends on where you are going to be. Here are the gamers from Canada and New Zealand listed on BGG:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=flag&count...

939 registered BGG users are from New Zealand.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=flag&count...

9938 registered BGG users are from Canada.

If we use those figures as a proxy for the gaming populations of each nation you arrive at the conclusion that Canada has new Zealand beat for gamers by about a 10-1 ratio. That's probably a decent estimate considering that Canada has a population about 8 times as big as NZ and they generally have access to more North American based gaming resources than we do here in NZ.

All that said... most major cities in any country should be fertile grounds for gaming. It may take a little work to find some gamers but it shouldn't be that hard.

Personally I live 40 km outside a major centre (from Nelson in the south island of New Zealand) so gaming opportunities here are not that plentiful. I mostly play with family and a few friends and have had limited success getting beyond that circle. I'm always optimistic though and someday I'll get a truly great game group going. If you are ever near Nelson in NZ... GM me and I'll be up for a game anytime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in Auckland, ANZ, we have *at least* three regular game groups that I know of, though I have only attended one of them.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/125285

also:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/237700
and the third club is on the campus of the University of Auckland. Wednesday nights, IIRC.

I've lived in and travelled extensively across both countries, and while I won't express a preference, I think your choice of city needs to be a more carefully thought-out one in Canada, if only because of the weather.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You guys are all over the map. First it was Canada, now it's New Zealand. How 'bout you split the difference and move to Zimbabwe?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/296986
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Colin Hunter
Auckland New Zealand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dirty Harry

Auckland

Greenlane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Edge
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Vaughn Edge
Auckland, Lynfield

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Earl Leonardo

Philippines
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. We are really considering New Zealand to be ou first choice now though it might take well over a year before we do get there. I think employment opportunites will dictate where we end up there though I am hoping that whereever that may be, we can find like minded people who enjoy boardgaming.

If you can tell us things only locals would know about NZ, we'll greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Brown
New Zealand
Palmerston North
Manawatu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaizer9 wrote:
If you can tell us things only locals would know about NZ, we'll greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Our current Prime minister is a transvestite but the shemale is about to be removed at the next general election, so relax.

EDIT oh and I'm from Palmerston North, aka centre of the universe. Or according to John Cleese "If you ever do want to kill yourself, but lack the courage, I think a visit to Palmerston North will do the trick." There isn't much of a scene here for boardgames unless the MAGE club up at Massey University are still running some, my gamer friends and I get together every once and a while for a session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Me, Christchurch.

There are at least two regular gaming groups in Christchurch, out of a population of 350,000.

You get better points on your immigration application if you decide to settle outside of Auckland. (Sorry, Aucklanders!)

If you tell us your industry, we might be able to suggest a particular town or city.

JB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I am a Canadian with New Zealand heritage. Both countries are very nice with many things to offer. Auckland and Christchurch are both very nice cities (although very different). Canada has a number of nice cities Toronto is where I am from, I am current in Ottawa which is also nice as is Halifax and Vancouver (from what I hear).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Earl Leonardo

Philippines
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just trying to calculate how many points I could get with my immigrant application and there is a rating for work experience.
this is where I'm a bit uneasy coz I've been in different industries.

I was a flight steward for the flag carrier, Philippine Airlines.
After that, I had a computer rental business for a while then I worked in Security Consultancy.
Then it was to another airline as Security Supervisor then I got pulled to do Corporate Planning.
Now, I'm doing estate annuity settlement for an outsourced company of Ameriprise Financial in the U.S.

My wife is going to take her license exam to be an accountant.

Will it help if I told the immigration ppl that I like Carcassonne, Age of Mythology the Boardgame, Heroscape and Settlers?
hehe.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Earl,

Sounds like you'd both easily get work in Christchurch, Wellington, or Auckland.

I don't think being a board games fan will hold any water with the immigration folks, but you'd be welcome in any of our local game groups.

Keep us in the loop on your application progress.

JB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earl,

You're not saying where you're from, which has a bearing on where you want to go. If you're currently in Northern Europe, for instance, Canada might be more appealing than if you're currently in Africa, if only because of familiarity with weather, etc.

I had to make the same choice ten years ago, between Canada and NZ, when I left South Africa. I chose NZ, because of it was culturally more familiar to me and was warmer! I reckon those things can make it easier.

If you want an exciting, though potentially short, life, go with the suggestion above and move to Zim!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Earl Leonardo

Philippines
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm from the Philippines. If NZ is warmer, I think it will be better. My wife gets cold just by looking at ice cubes. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaizer9 wrote:
I'm from the Philippines. If NZ is warmer, I think it will be better. My wife gets cold just by looking at ice cubes. Thanks.

well you probably want to settle in the north then.

the hottest place in the country is central otago.
it also happens to be the coldest place in the country as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But... if you want the *sunniest* place, then Nelson and Blenheim would be your best bet... and they are in the South Island. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muntmeister wrote:
kaizer9 wrote:

well you probably want to settle in the north then.

the hottest place in the country is central otago.
it also happens to be the coldest place in the country as well.

Interesting: in Canada, that honour probably goes to my hometown of Winnipeg, or somewhere nearby. There is a 70 degree swing from summer to winter (35 to -35).

But as we like to say, "it's a dry cold/heat." I've never been as cold in Winnipeg as I have been in Vancouver or Auckland at 6-7 degrees: that wet cold gets in your bones. FWIW, Winnipeg has a huge Pinoy community, including at least 1 member of parliament.

Winnipeg also gets about 290 days of sunshine/year, which is near the top for frequency (and a real blessing when it's 35 below zero).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have similar thoughts about where I grew up in Canada... Northern Alberta near a little town called Fort Vermilion.

I personally have been out in weather down to -51 Celsius in the winter (not the wind chill... that's just the temperature) and we've had temps of at least 37 Celsius in the summer... so that's almost a 90 degree range that I've personally experienced. Fort Vermilion has been down to -61 Celsius back in 1911 and I'm sure it's hit close to 40 Celsius at some point so I don't doubt at all that the area has had a range of 100 degrees over the years. Amazing how some areas can have that large of a range in temps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Waenink
New Zealand
Whangarei
Northland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add one more gamer, born Canadian, living in New Zealand.

Mark

Whangarei, Northland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's quite a few in Wellington, but strangely none have posted here yet.

Except me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guttedgeek
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colin Williams, Wellington.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasia Alevizos
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nasia Alevizos - Wellington.

As for gaming opportunities in Wellington you have the Forum which meets Monday nights at the Ferrymans Tavern.

WARGS - Wellington Area Roleplaying and Gaming Society which meets on the third Sunday of each month at Wargames Supply (check out our guild for information on this and other in game events http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/568). Tea and biscuits are provided.

Victoria University Games Club which meets each Friday during University term at the Student Union Building.

There are also a variety of events:

Kapcon: This is primarily a roleplaying event but there are boardgames as well. It happens on Wellington Anniversary Weekend at Wellington High School (so this coming weekend). This year I will be bringing along Stone Age and Battlestar Galactica and someone else has promised Agricola and Race for the Galaxy.

G.o.D. Con- Games on Demand Con which myself and Sophie are organizing for the first time this May. The idea behind this one is we have a range of boardgames and rpgs and rather than have the rpg's be set scenarios we have a bunch of facilitators ready to through together the no-prep Indie style games on the spot- Of course depending on what people want to play.

Confusion 7: This will be the 7th year I have run this at Turnbull house on usually the 1st Saturday in August. We get around 40 people. It is more of a traditional one day convention with people either signing up for rpg's or playing boardgames in the main room. Usually there are about 10- 15 people playing boardgames and the rest are playing or running the rpg's. Tea and Coffee is provided. Please see nzrag.com for more details on this event.

Last year Wellycon was also run for the first time but you would have to speak with Andrew to find out what he is planning on doing with it this year. I believe he is planning on running it again but I cant actually speak for him.

So meeting gamers in Wellington should not be a problem.

Hugs

Nasia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some proud New Zealand voices out there, I love it.

Nexttothemoon's estimate of 1000 seems to me to be a useful working estimate for us to hang our heads on for now. I mean there are a ton of definitional issues to deal with, I mean what is a gamer, what about those that signed up once to log a game of monopoly and never returned? (I have heard that some people still consider Monopoly a game after all) So in absence of better definitions and research I affirm this bold estimate and will quote NZ as having 1000 regular gamers of age 15 and above. I am sure that it is more though.

There are some good existing networks out there that people have mentioned so far that I am just learning about. I hope that game group and conference organisers all over the country will continue to keep in touch with each other and promote each others events. If others have event calenders then I hope we can get links and posts on the NZ forum here. I think it is a great forum.

Anyway to back up Nasia I am looking forward to a day out at confusion this year and then ofcourse Wellycon which will be a boardgames only event later in the year. We were really thrilled to get more than 50 people out last year over the two days including a few from around the country. I still owe some Auckland guys a visit and really enjoyed getting to see the brilliant club that Jason Brice has in Chch (if in fact I can call it a club). Anyway we will go again this year and hope for a few more people to turn up. I'm hoping Endeavor will be out by then so we can showcase that, Industry, The New Zealand Game and another local product Thrones and Powers at the con including some teaching from the designers if I can hook it up.

I'm feeling more a part of the emphemeral gaming coummunity and I hope we can continue to build corporate events nationwide. I can't travel much right now but I encourage everyone to get behind anything in your area. Are there boardgames at Capcom this year ... if not someone should make it happen.

Oh and Colin Hunter does a wargames podcast aswell if you are that way inclined. Check it out. And that there is regular gaming based out of Wargames supplies ( in the BNZ centre in Wellington) and in Featherston in association with All Aboard aswell.

Go New Zealand gaming.
Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt - Wellington (which you can see anyway)

Roll on Wellycon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.