Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Action point mechanism for a pick-up-and-deliver trading game:

a) Fixed APs for the player (a la Tikal) - delivers fixed(ish) length turns for the entire game.
b) APs per worker (a la Roads and Boats) - delivers more realistic logistics, but exponential downtime as # of workers increases.

Please - no "it depends" responses unless there's something fundamental that you think is required to decide between these options - I realise that both are valid and work in different games - just wanted to know which one people preferred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate to say, but it depends on the game!

For a pick & deliver game: an obvious way to do each train/ship/truck can move or load/drop off each turn. There may be other actions as well. It does not seem realistic as players control more vehicles, that there is only a limited number of them could be moved each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Apart from the obligatory (if unappreciated) answer of "it depends", I'd vote for choice (a).

Having to divide a fixed number of AP between your pieces seems to add an interesting decision that you don't get when you have a fixed number of AP per piece.

Of course, if you're adding lots of pieces as the game progresses, then you might need to increase the available AP at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
I think #B definitely contributes to or creates a runaway leader problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hayter

Metuchen
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
Hate to say, but it depends on the game!

For a pick & deliver game: an obvious way to do each train/ship/truck can move or load/drop off each turn. There may be other actions as well. It does not seem realistic as players control more vehicles, that there is only a limited number of them could be moved each turn.

In Command & Colors you can only move a certain number of units regardless of how many you have.

Also, it gets difficult to determine which units have already moved when each one can move each turn, if there are too many on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Snooze_uk wrote:

a) Fixed APs for the player (a la Tikal) - delivers fixed(ish) length turns for the entire game.
b) APs per worker (a la Roads and Boats) - delivers more realistic logistics, but exponential downtime as # of workers increases.

First one every time. While I love the second and I personally can handle a game of astronomical length and complexity, it just isn't feasible for the world at large to do this. Massive analysis paralysis...

Frankly, I think Caylus has hit a really nice balance between the two things - a pool of workers represents the maximum number of actions, but the number you can employ each turn depends on your resources and choices available to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alan Henning
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jaredhayter wrote:
Also, it gets difficult to determine which units have already moved when each one can move each turn, if there are too many on the board.

Yes, this is a real pain in Antike, for example, where the rules encourage you to lay meeples flat once you've moved them so you can keep track of which you've moved and which you haven't (you can move them all on a movement turn). At the end of the turn, you then put the meeples pack upright. Very fiddly but necessary once you have a lot of legions and galleys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking b) would only work if you limit workers/trains/trucks to a maximum like someone mentioned caylus's limit of 6 workers. I'm thinking of agricola where you start with 2 workers, but can get more to do more stuff. You'll never have more than 5 though.

If it can increase indefinitely, you'll have a hard time avoiding downtime issues (as you mentioned), AP, and run away leader syndrome I imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean garrity

winnipeg
manitoba
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
for me, i prefer a.

there are games that b. can work for, but as already mentioned, there has to be some
second mechanic that can control or limit the length of turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.