Subject: What's the point of allied forces? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I've been wanting to get into this game soooo many times. But every time I read the rules, the combat gets me all confused.

Some things I just don't get. Maybe I'm missing the point...

Like, what's the point of adding allied forces?? I mean, if only the attacker and defender get to score, why even bother? What do you gain by being an ally?

Never mind the asking for permission part, which I totally don't get... that screws me up even more.

Anyone else this confused?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Zaborny
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmb
Following ideas come to my mind:
a) You gained a statue earlier in the game in that city or you're likely to win it later in the game, so you would like to defend it's high VPs status. (defending ally)
b) You want to hit your oponents lowering their VPs from the cities where you have no interest. (attacking ally).
c) You want to disperse opponent's forces by forcing him to respond to the growing threat in the war, where the primary attacker would be too week to hurt the defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the atacker wins a battle this counts as a defeat against the city associated with the battle tile. If you already have a statue in that city you may ally with a main defender to help ensure the city does not receive a defeat marker and hence reduce the value of your statue.

Similarly you may have no statues in a particular city and be quite keen that city loses a battle so other player's statues decrease in value and hence ally with the attacker.

You may also ally with an attacker or a defender if you want to stop the player on the other side winning the tile and would prefer the player to do so who you are allying with.

Also with a little diplomacy maybe you could agree to ally with someone if they ally with you in another battle. Could make sense if you have different strengths wrt boats and hopilites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thanks guys! I slowly start to see the light of day on this. I guess I just need to play it to submerge myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.