Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Childers
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an idea. I haven't played the game enough yet to know how imbalanced it might be. Use these rules with the Resilient Population card in place of its text.

Quarantine a City
For the rest of the game, the chosen city cannot Outbreak and player pawns may not visit the city. All pawns currently in the city must take a free Drive/Ferry or Shuttle Flight to escape.

Notes
- Can be played at anytime, even in the middle of an Epidemic resolution.
- Even on the Dispatcher's turn, the two listed escape options are the only ones. If you want something else, spend an action before you play the card.
- Do not remove any Research Center currently in the city. I think it makes sense too that it cannot be dismantled to move to another city as when a seventh one is built. You are stuck with one less RS for the game (but this could well be worth it in the late game).
- Unless the Researcher draws the city's card, the card will be permanently useless, discardable only by the >7 rule.
- Do not remove the city's infection card. The quarantine has bought you a breather once each time through the deck.
- Any diseases the city has will obviously not be able to be eradicated.

To me, this fixes a glitch in the Resilient Population card. As written, Outbreak splash could cause a Resilient City to itself Outbreak. That is quite unthematic, and IMO a quarantine is more thematic itself anyway. I think the prohibition on travel to the city makes up for the power of the card when put on Grand Central Stations like Istanbul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting idea. Have you tried it out yet? I'm curious to how it would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Childers
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't own the game yet and it will be a while before I get another chance to play--but the way it's stuck in my head after only a few plays means it's at the top of my want-list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats a good sign. I bought it last weekend and tonight will be my first opportunity to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think a prohibition on travel to the city works as a game mechanic. Some cities are only connected by one or two locations, and this would often hurt the players more than help.

I'd suggest it costing 2 to move into, or something like that. Plus, by "locking down" the city, you might as well remove the disease cubes if you can't have anymore apply to the city or spread to it. Unless of course you imply that there is no way to eradicate the disease then after something is quarantined...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Childers
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I don't think a prohibition on travel to the city works as a game mechanic. Some cities are only connected by one or two locations, and this would often hurt the players more than help."

My concern rather is that the travel restriction is not a powerful enough liability to counter the two big ways the card can prevent you from losing:

1. If you see that sowing an cube on a city will start a chain reaction that will make you run out of cubes, quarantine the city instead.
2. If you are going to get your 8th outbreak, quarantine the city instead.

All very thematic, but very strong, too. How many times have you needed just one more turn to win?

Also, I made an error earlier. The city's card is not useless as the variant rules stand; the person who draws the card can use it to cure if he gets four (or three) other cards. But because of the power of the card, I think I'll add to the variant rules explicitly, "The city's card may not be used for any reason. It can only be discarded by the >7 rule."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
Quote:
All very thematic, but very strong, too. How many times have you needed just one more turn to win?

Not that many, actually. When we win, we win by a pretty good margin; likewise when we lose. Very few games have been down to the wire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Tanenbaum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the Quarantine only lasts until the card comes up again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.