Popular Tags: [View All]
Farid Widjaya
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellow geeks, it's time for another recommendation request: Tell me which ONE game I should get next!

The recommendation can be anything in my the short list I have below or any other game... and it'll be great if you can give a reason why.

Some background information:

I'm a relatively new gamer ( < 1 year. ) I started with Power Grid and enjoyed that immensely. Over past few months I have acquired some games that are on the lighter side.. to the point that I felt that my collection is lacking something. I've also played often enough to feel a 'burnout' from purchasing these games.. so I want to limit my purchase to 1 game at a time, based on the most ideal purchase at any given time. Here's some notable games in my small collection that I enjoy:

Power Grid - My favorite game, but hard to find people to play with
Vegas Showdown - Everyone's favorite
Ticket To Ride Europe - No brainer for introducing people to games
Carcassonne - same as TTR:E above
Manila - When you dont feel like thinking..
El Grande & Prince of Florence - Recently acquired classics
Bohnanza & Citadels - My group games
Colloseum & Pillars of the Earth - My 'middle of the road' games that I enjoy very much
Yspahan, Arkadia, San Juan - Short playing time, not too shallow
Agricola - On preorder

Here's my short list:
Tigris Euphrates
Goa
Imperial
Shadows over Camelot ( trying to get this in a trade )
Incan Gold ( to add to my group game shortlist )
Keythedral (to scratch my Settlers itch? )
Cuba
In Year of the Dragon / Notre Dame
Kingsburg
Vikings
Ys
Robo Rally

What do fellow geeks think? Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the list of games from your Personalized Recommendations list provided in your profile by the BGG mystery algorithm:

Notre Dame
Goa
Timbuktu
Louis XIV
Himalaya
Leonardo da Vinci
Amun-Re
Santiago
Die Macher
Before the Wind
Taj Mahal
Crokinole
Can't Stop
Maharaja: Palace Building in India
Cloud 9
Caylus Magna Carta
Vikings
Guatemala Café
Mykerinos
Keythedral
Sternenhimmel
R-Eco
Modern Art
I'm the Boss
Thebes
Downfall of Pompeii, The
Turbo Taxi
Black Vienna
Ausgebremst
Code 777

I think you may be contractually bound to purchase the top 5 games at the top of this list in an effort to keep publishers, designers and game stores and who knows how many other people happy and well fed. Luckily two of those games are on your short list. Check your BGG account contract for more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you find the personal recommendation again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you like light, fast games, you'd be hard pressed to do better than RoboRally.

edit: also, check out Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga, it may be right up your alley. If you like Viking themes, this game gives you a larger, more epic experience, while remaining non-confrontational (if you don't count the denizens of europe!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaylex wrote:

On your Profile page, immediately under your Rating Distribution bar graph.

Your #1 is Die Macher

The next two are Timbuktu and Crokinole, which makes you an average BGGeek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Qualey
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of your short list, I also thought Robo Rally would provide a very different kind of game play than the others on your list, but would also be a good bet that you would like it - a bit of random mayhem, especially with the more players you add.

I also think you would enjoy Die Saulen Von Venedig (be prepared to print the English version of the cards and instructions). It is fairly light and expands well (plays 2-6).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows, RoboRally and Incan Gold quickly followed by Goa and T&E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in something of a similar situation as you (I recently returned to gaming). I played my first two games of In the Year of the Dragon last week. RUN to your game store and get it.

edited to add: because you will never regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farid Widjaya
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vaughn wrote:

I really like this suggestion. Very well thought of. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY WILHM
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Insert clever phrase here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vaughn wrote:

Slight variation - Shadows first, then Imperial (my current favorite), then Incan Gold. I got burned out on Robo Rally quick, and the game can become quite tedious when someone has jumped out to a big lead (which happens a lot in my experience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaylex wrote:

In the "Games" Section of your profile right underneath the graph of your ratings is a link call "Personalized Recommendations".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim West
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Two great alternatives to Shadows Over Camelot I picked up recently are Pandemic and Vanished Planet, and I highly recommend both of them.

Pandemic is intense, and you WILL finish a game in an hour or less of playtime. There's also a great video review of the game here by Colin Sherman of Obsessed With Board Games:
http://www.podshow.com/shows/?mode=detail&episode_id=99812

Vanished Planet takes longer, but is no less fun, and it's a great self-published title that deserves more recognition imho.

As a bonus you can own *both* of these games for about the price of Shadows Over Camelot. There's no traitor in either of them though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
I'm in something of a similar situation as you (I recently returned to gaming). I played my first two games of In the Year of the Dragon last week. RUN to your game store and get it.

edited to add: because you will never regret it.

What he said. Quickly becoming our new favorite game. Must ... make ... wife ... open up ... wallet ... to let me ... buy ... it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list:

* T&E - one of the greats of all-time, but you will have the same problem of getting people to play
* Goa - excellent game, but it finally lost its glitter for us
* In Year of the Dragon - better than Notre Dame IMO. A really good one
* Kingsburg - more of a "fun" game than the cerebral Tigres/Euphrates (T&E), dice, but good decisions
* Imperial - a great one - but you might have teh same trouble as Power Grid & T&E - getting players to play

And, off of your list, but HIGHLY Recommended - Race For The Galaxy. Card game. The best I've played in a long time. Quick playing time (30-45 mins). Not that hard to teach. But great strategy. A game to "study" and improve your play. Most of the above games do not allow for studying. This one is loaded with strategy. Grab it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I took your Top 7 most highly rated games and used the "Similarly rated" tool on each of those games pages and came up with the following results from each list:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/similar.php3?gameid=555&minrati...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/similar.php3?gameid=2651&minrat...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/similar.php3?gameid=93&minratin...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/similar.php3?gameid=15817&minra...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/similar.php3?gameid=27746&minra...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/similar.php3?gameid=15364&minra...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/similar.php3?gameid=24480&minra...

Conclusions?

Here's the games you don't own or haven't preordered yet that show up in the top 10 multiple times on those lists:

Puerto Rico - 7 times
1960: The Making of the President - 6 times
Shogun - 5 times
Twilight Struggle - 4 times
Die Macher - 4 times
Caylus - 4 times
Race for the Galaxy - 3 times
Tigris & Euphrates -3 times
Power Grid - Benelux/Central Europe - 3 times
Age of Steam - 2 times
Goa - 2 times
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery - 2 times

If you are only picking one game to purchase I'd say go with Puerto Rico at the top. It's meaty and certainly will give you another great gamers game to complement what you have now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
widjayaman wrote:
Fellow geeks, it's time for another recommendation request: Tell me which ONE game I should get next!

The recommendation can be anything in my the short list I have below or any other game... and it'll be great if you can give a reason why.

In Year of the Dragon / Notre Dame

I would skip Notre Dame and jump right into In Year of the Dragon. I've only played Notre Dame once and don't have a lot of desire to play it again. I'm sure I will play it again but, Dragon has never been turned down by me. The level of tension I feel when playing this game is like no other. I always feel as if I have made a mistake or should be doing something other than what I'm choosing to do on my turn and that's what is going on in my head when I am winning! This seems to be what floats your boat, so that would be the one game I would suggest. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot is a good game with great bits. Its a cooperative game, everyone (except a potential traitor that you can play with or not up to you) against the game itself. Takes at least an hour to play, and can go up to like 7 players I think. I've played it serveral times with friends and I like it.

Incan Gold is another game that can play a lot of players, up to 8 I belive. Its a quickie filler, but fun and easy to learn, takes maybe 15 mins or so. I have this one and its useful for if you don't have a lot of time, or are waiting for someone to arrive, or for new gamers who need to be gently eased to the idea of games

If you like a large range of players, I'd suggest Saboteur as well. Its a fun and easy card game.

Robo Rally is a great game, I love it, it can also handle a wide range of players. BUT, its not for everyone. Read some reviews on it. You have to program your robot ahead of when it actually moves. Some people don't like that. Me and a couple other people played it a bunch of times and liked it so much we started using the timer at the begining of each turn (instead of waiting until 1 person left to finish programming) so that we only had like 30 seconds to program our robots... and we did this on the conveyor map! Talk about madness.
Anyway, its a fun game, but be sure and check out what its about, its not as much universal appeal as some games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My three favorite games are:

Shadows over Camelot
Magic the Gathering
Pandemic

Shadows is fun because it's a fairly easy game to play, fits seven players and the traitor aspect keeps people guessing. Magic is always fun because playing it is simple, no two games ever end out the same and deck building gives you strategy. Pandemic is a game I recently bought that has slick theme, quick play and is stream-lined.

I think a lot of the games you have are complex and can be played with someone you are with a lot, in this case your wife. But I try to find games that a new player can enjoy without being blasted by a seasoned gamer. And those games are Shadows over Camelot and Pandemic.

Shadows is a simple game to play, but it has many things you need to watch out for. There's rules like:

- You can not draw 2 cards at the round table if your hand size is 12 or more.
- Cards on a solo quest are removed if the knight leaves that quest.
- Discards are always face down.
- Cards on one side of the black knight or lancelot quest must be different than those on the other.

And this leads to a lot of bogging down with all these extra rules. And this is why I'm reconsidering my choice of Shadows as an introductory game, even if it is cooperative. But that's not to say it's a bad game. Shadows has a good amount of meat to it. It can take a while with lots of new players though.

Pandemic is the hot appetizer I just got. One thing is the theme of diseases. It doesn't come off as nerdy or anything, but rather, cool. Another thing is the map is nice and it's something anyone can relate to. My Korean friends look at Seoul, my Japanese friends look at Tokyo, etc. The game flows quick and discussing is a must and there's also time to do so. Did I mention it's quick?

Magic is like Shadows in that although there's lots of little rules like:

- Last thing in the chain resolves first.
- Shadow creatures can only block shadow creatures.

But once you get those rules down, the game can flow smoothly. Just draw a card, play a land, play a creature, attack and let the other dude go.

Here's a big thing I watch out for when I buy board games: Runaway leaders. This is a HUGE problem from games like Risk and Monopoly. One person becomes the top and it becomes obvious he's going to win. Cooperative games force good players to work with bad players. I chose Magic the Gathering because it's a fast game, every game is different and strategies are very diverse.

My theory on Magic is this. I could play a long board game, lose and go home with the feeling of that loss. Or I could play 5 games of magic, lose 3, but I can still think about the 2 wins I got. So the quickness of MTG gives more time for each player to win.

Cooperative games allow me to play at my best potential, rather than handicapping my skill in order to give the new player a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, of the ones on your list I'd say Shadows Over Camelot is a good first choice. You ought to include a co-op in your collection and Shadows is one of the finest. Of course there are plenty of others to look into with three of my personal favourites being Arkham Horror (made even better with the Dunwich Horror expansion), Vanished Planet (although you'll want the expansion for that one too, it's freaking impossible without it!) and Lord of the Rings. Pandemic looks good too in the co-op range but I haven't played that yet (I should be picking up a copy on Monday.)

Other than that I'd agree with the recommendation of Incan Gold. It's very fast, extremely fun, simple as anything and plays a large number of people very well. There are few better filler games out there, especially for large groups.

Finally might I leave your list and suggest Race for the Galaxy. Think of it as San Juan on steroids with far deeper choices and decisions and a playing time (once you've got the game down) of about 30 minutes. It's a VERY meaty game for such a short play time and has 2, fully playtested expansions coming out to extend the replayability in the future. Given your list of currently enjoyed games I think that you'll like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not on your short list, but I would like to recommend Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery. Great game that plays fast and is scalable (I've played 2 & 4P and they're both great).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.